Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 09:58 AM

Default AA on Flop

Game: Absolute Poker, Blinds $1/2 with relatively deep stacks. 9-handed.

Hero UG ($435)has AA
Main Villian Late MP ($475)
Button ($76)

Preflop: Hero leads out $7, Villain miniraises to $14, Button Calls, Hero reraises to a total of $70. Villain calls, button folds. Pot$157.

Flop: QQJ 2 diamnonds, hero checks with intention of check raising, Villain pushes all in, which would cost hero $365. Only 2nd orbit of playing with Villain, so no real read,though this game generally plays somewhat weak tight in general. Call or Fold? Should I have led, if so how much?
Old 07-11-2005, 10:25 AM

Default Re: AA on Flop

easy call, You got what you wanted and villains money is in the middle now stick yours in too.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:54 PM

Call, I'll pay off a donkey playing AQ or JJ like that anyday. I think you see KK here 95% of the time, if not more.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Call, I'll pay off a donkey playing AQ or JJ like that anyday. I think you see KK here 95% of the time, if not more.

[/ QUOTE ]

definetely KK
Old 07-11-2005, 02:35 PM

Your check-raise idea looks fine and you got what you were looking for. If villain makes a normal pot-sized bet he knows that if you can call you can raise, which would put you raising all-in, so he pushes instead. He just took away your raise, but you still get your chips in the center like you wanted. So now your calling instead of pushing.

Count your blessings and call.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:41 PM

one of the easiest calls i have ever seen..nh
Old 07-11-2005, 03:14 PM

Default Results

[ QUOTE ]
one of the easiest calls i have ever seen..nh

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, that's what I thought too. I put the guy on KK, with an outside chance of AK :diamond, and remote chance of JJ. I was pretty suprised when he turned over KQo. The only thing that makes me think that I should have folded was becasue of the overbet. In my recent experience this has meant monster more times than not.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:27 PM

I am shocked at all the people who say this is an easy call, and I am not being results oriented in the least. I've seen this play made plenty of times with trips - you have virtually defined your hand beyond any shadow of a doubt to this guy, and he goes ahead and pushes anyway. From a complete unknown, I'd expect to see trips here probably 25% of the time or more.

Whether or not you call is read dependent. There are plenty of players at 1-2 who will make this move. Sure, it would be an easy call at the 25 tables, but as you move up you see this move more and more often.

Preflop you should have brought it in for more to begin with, btw. 3.5xBB is too small from first position.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:43 PM

You can argue I should have raised more to begin with, and if I wasn't given the opportunity to re-raise I would have auto-mucked this overbet. But the way this hand played out I don't think that 25% of the time someone is playing AQ or KQ, and if they are they made a bad call and got lucky to hit the flop. Even if you are right though and they have trips 25% of the time, don't you still call?
Old 07-11-2005, 03:46 PM

I;d call based on the fact that if villian had qq he would have no reason to go all in. That looks like he wants you out. Maybe not id lean towards calling.