Obviuosly a traffic light will only work for four directions

[/ QUOTE ]

False!
Old 07-10-2005, 08:02 PM

Default Re: Roundabouts

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think it would be nice if there were uniform rules for navigating traffic circles. Some places, you yield to traffic in the circle and some you yield to traffic entering the circle. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this essentially the same thing? My understanding is you basically should yield to any car that could hit you.

[/ QUOTE ]

First one: Traffic coming into the circle yields to traffic already going around and around. (I think this should be SOP, IMO.)

Second one: Traffic in the circle going around and around yields to traffic coming into the circle. (Seems kinda silly to me because everybody's going to get backed up)

If you don't know which one this is supposed to be, you're gonna get rear-ended. Those are the cars that I'm worried about hitting me.

Yes, I know there should be signs to help you. But I'm in New Jersey where they sometimes to forget to put signs in helpful places. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2005, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They can be quick and efficient but if traffic comes more from a certain direction then there can be huge build ups of traffic at the less busier entrances, generally in these cases they add part time traffic lights which often make the queues big at all of them [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img].

The more bizarre thing for me in the states was turning right through a red light if you did that over here (but turning left) you would get a ticket but I thought it was a good idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the right turn on red is one of the best ideas ever invented, right up there with the Ten Commandments, the Golden Rule, and washing your hands after you go to the bathroom.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:53 PM

they have them everywhere in massachusetts... its funny seeing people drive on them for the first time.... " hey kids, big ben, parliament... big ben, parliament."
Old 07-10-2005, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
they have them everywhere in massachusetts... its funny seeing people drive on them for the first time.... " hey kids, big ben, parliament... big ben, parliament."

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF r u talking about?
Old 07-10-2005, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF r u talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]

"Clark, you're on the wrong side of the road."
"Yes, I know, honey. I'm also on the wrong side of the car."
Old 07-10-2005, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Kudos.
Just as text message, ATMs etc.. Maybe you let the child move out of the house too early [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].
Old 07-10-2005, 09:32 PM

The Magic Roundabout in Swindon, UK. Five clockwise roundabouts surrounding a counter-clockwise one. Think we could handle that in the States?
Old 07-10-2005, 09:37 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

he may "pork" her, russ.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:43 PM

It is challenging to drive the ones in the UK as I am used to right-side driving and in Roundabout the where to look and which lane etc. is complicating when you are used to everything being opposite.

If you want challenge though go to Paris around Arch Triump (no marked lanes even if they make six or seven, high speed, many exits):