Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2005, 01:42 AM

Default Big Laydown Possible Here?

25/50 NL on UB. I have 2 a guy limps he has me covered I have $4700 full table. The table is going kind of crazy a lot of action. This player is up a lot. He's been playing straightforward and isn't good. He limps I raise to $225 with 22 he calls HU.

Flop is Qc Ad 9c, he checks I check. Turn is 2s, he checks I bet $525 he c/r to $1050. It's worth noting that he was playing on two tables with me and on the other table he was in the middle of a big hand. I call. Pot is $2500 I have $3400 left.

River is Qd he fairly quickly goes all in. Sure looks big to me.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:56 AM

Default Re: Big Laydown Possible Here?

Ayy, tough one. Just how bad is he? The worse he is, the more likely you're beat. There's no way he can put you on a big hand after the flop check. I'd have to call here, and would expect to win most of the time.
Old 04-02-2005, 02:54 AM

for what it's worth, a laydown here is mathematically wrong. maybe he has you beaten in this specific case, but oh well. [censored] happens
Old 04-02-2005, 02:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
for what it's worth, a laydown here is mathematically wrong. maybe he has you beaten in this specific case, but oh well. [censored] happens

[/ QUOTE ]

expand.
Old 04-02-2005, 11:35 AM

why not move in on the turn?
Old 04-02-2005, 11:39 AM

I kinda like the flop check, but only if you're reraising on the turn. Can you expand on the flop check?
Old 04-02-2005, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why not move in on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Slowplay making use of position?

Seems like since he was distracted that a push would be good on the turn as he would probably call. River I think you can lay that down.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
25/50 NL on UB. I have 2 a guy limps he has me covered I have $4700 full table. The table is going kind of crazy a lot of action. This player is up a lot. He's been playing straightforward and isn't good. He limps I raise to $225 with 22 he calls HU.

Flop is Qc Ad 9c, he checks I check. Turn is 2s, he checks I bet $525 he c/r to $1050. It's worth noting that he was playing on two tables with me and on the other table he was in the middle of a big hand. I call. Pot is $2500 I have $3400 left.

River is Qd he fairly quickly goes all in. Sure looks big to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi,
I am a curious why you did not reraise on the turn. You mentioned that the player was str8forward and bad. The bad part makes me think I would lean towards a call here, although a fold seems possible, if you think he would check 2 pair or better on the turn, which is what he would need to beat you by the river. You said he was str8forward, but he checked to you twice on the hand with a draw heavy board, and then decided to raise after you bet the turn. Also, from what you have seen of his play, what does he need to move all in with in a situation like this?
Old 04-02-2005, 01:50 PM

if bruiser folds to this line every time with a hand of this strength, then it is profitable for the other player to move in every time.
Old 04-02-2005, 04:02 PM

Weird hand. If the river blanks, it's a pretty straightforward call.

What did you put him on when he c/r'd? The question is, would a 'straightforward, but bad' player CR top two on the turn here? That looks like an awful play, but the kind of play a bad player would make not knowing it lets every hand he beats out and every hand that crushes him to re-raise.

His line looks like a complete bluff or a monster; he waited for the turn to min-check raise. Since he was in a big pot at the other table, it's less likely to be a bluff. The underfull is a dangerous hand, and it's very very unlikely that he has just trip Qs.