Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2005, 05:06 PM

Default Re: Getting desperate for help

[ QUOTE ]
What bothers me about all of this is why someone who plays the same game for ages can not know without a shadow of a doubt what the problem is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Results oriented? You can win with your mistakes and lose with your good plays a lot in the short term, and this can [censored] with your head at the worst times.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:20 PM

My problem is that when I review the session I think I'm playing the same way I always have, and that I'm getting some bad breaks. Mathematics would suggest otherwise, hence the post.

When I review poker tracker numbers my pre-flop play is virtually unchanged, but I believe I have become more passive post flop. WHen you get 3 bet pre-flop seemingly every time I think that's what happens, and I've become gun shy.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm playing the same way I always have

[/ QUOTE ]

DING DING DING. I don't want to sound like a broken record, but clearly you're not getting it. You're game has always been very weak when compared to most 2+2 15/30 players. My guess is the play was so aweful so you made quite a bit of money, but ultimately ran better than you should have. I could be wrong, but honestly I can't imagine you being anywhere near a 2bb/100 winner.

[ QUOTE ]

When I review poker tracker numbers my pre-flop play is virtually unchanged, but I believe I have become more passive post flop. WHen you get 3 bet pre-flop seemingly every time I think that's what happens, and I've become gun shy.

[/ QUOTE ]

uh...Cap it? People are recognizing and pushing you around. Change your screen names and start capping more vs these clowns.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:39 PM

when you are playing bad you don't realize you're playing bad
Old 04-03-2005, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice to have ya back.

I've missed the jester avatar.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I'm working to much to post a lot, but I do pop in from time to time.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This better not be some "haha, April Fools! I'm rich as hell!"

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been laughing for days because of this quote right here... People are starting to think I am on crack because I think of this and just bust out laughing when it isn't really appropriate...

Ok Anyways..lets recap.. I am a big davidross fan.. but david hasn't really had "Months" of success at 15/30... He started towards the end of last year and I am sure put in a few zillion hands before his downswing, but not "months".

He's had an insane downswing. He's come back from it. He's breakeven for 4 months after a 600BB downswing. Thats not too shabby.

Oh and he's "breakeven" except for the $20K of tourney wins in that period.

April Fools! He's Rich as Hell!
Old 04-04-2005, 11:41 AM

From the posts it's clear that there are several facets of your game that you need to work on. Overall, though, you have every reason to be confident. First of all, you won 170k in the last year of so. Not many posters much less non 2+2ers are making that sort of money. Second, you have a lot of balls to be posting this "getting desperate" stuff and subjecting yourself to this sort of flack. Clearly, you have a willingness to learn and an openness that will benefit your game.

The truth is that you haven't been playing that long (although you have played a lot of hands). When you've been playing for many years and have successfully overcome the inevitable swings repeatedly, you'll develop the confidence that you should have and need to have to deal with the downturns.

I wouldn't take a break. It'll just cost you money. As for the criticism, it's a blessing. I'm impressed by the willingness of your colleagues to help you out here, since the reality is that most are your competitors. I'm thinking of starting to post hands myself because I'm in the midst of a .82 BB/100 slump for 25k hands at 10/20 6 max and 15/30. I'm not sure, though, that I can handle the heat in the way that you do.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What bothers me about all of this is why someone who plays the same game for ages can not know without a shadow of a doubt what the problem is. If I had been selling - oh, anything, cars - successfully and then things dried up I would surely know if it was the model becoming unfashionable, the competition down the road, the image of the company...

[/ QUOTE ]
If only this were so easy. Just like large corporations need management consultants to tell them why things aren't going the way they should, poker players sometimes need an objective evaluation from others to tell them what they're doing wrong. The game -- both in business and in poker -- is not static. It evolves, and if you don't keep up with it, you get left behind. In David's case, I think he just became complacent, and I'm guessing this happened a long time ago.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:09 PM

Default Re: PM me

[ QUOTE ]
pm me your AIM name and i'll play w/ you tonight (at your tables) & scout a game or two for us. when we are not in hands together tell me what you have & i'll watch you play.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF ?

Is this normal practice for you? Yes, I am a coward that did not feel like using my real name. This comment surprised me so much that it was worth creating the alternate name. Why sit at same table? Coach over IM is ok, but don't play in same game. That's a ridiculous solution to be suggesting with all these new posters around here that don't know any better and will use your method.

I ask again. Is this common for you to be at same table as someone you are chatting with on IM?
Old 04-04-2005, 08:12 PM

Default Re: PM me

Given that party says they take screenscrapes, or at least are capable of screenscrapes, i would be very careful about chatting on aim with players at the same table.

-Brad