Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2005, 03:45 AM

Default MMMMMM on Race

This is my first and last warning in this thread : You are now in the processs of digging yourself in a hole. (Apologies to red-tush Zipo for borrowing his English!)

[ QUOTE ]
Asians have yellower skin.

[/ QUOTE ] I haven't heard or read about Yeller Asians for a long time. Thanks for the memories.

[ QUOTE ]
Blacks ... are more prone to high blood pressure.

[/ QUOTE ] Would this be mostly about blacks in the United States? Or everywhere in the world? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

A small hint to help you with what you're talking about : You have a very small idea of what you're talking about.

"...contrary to popular belief, blacks were not more likely to experience complications associated with heart disease and high blood pressure"

"...food habits account for high cholesterol which causes high blood pressure"

"...depression in African-American Men May Be Barrier to High Blood Pressure Control"
Old 12-18-2005, 04:18 AM

Default Sickle-Cell Anemia

Cyrus, I'm not a doctor and could be wrong about high-blood pressure--but I'm NOT WRONG about sickle-cell anemia:

"sickle cell anemia...

...hereditary disease that destroys red blood cells by causing them to take on a rigid “sickle” shape....Sickle cell anemia occurs mainly in persons of African descent. The disease also occurs in persons of the Middle East, the Mediterranean, and India...

...An estimated 1 in 12 blacks worldwide carries the sickle cell trait, while about 1 in 400 has sickle cell anemia."

http://www.britannica.com/Blackhisto...KeyValue=67625

Moreover, despite your denial, Asians DO tend to have yellower skin than others--and blacks tend to have browner skin than others, as well as kinkier hair. This is NOT controversial (except maybe to people so steeped in political correctness that they deny plain facts which make them uncomfortable).

If you want to claim that "race" doesn't exist, well technically that may be the case, but you cannot deny that the groups at least casually referred to as "race" DO have some special physical characteristics on average that set them apart. Moreover, those characteristics tend to be passed on genetically; moreover, not all such physical characteristics are equal.