Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 01:37 PM

Default A8o isolation from the BB

SB is 52/20 over aggresive and has made some pretty ridiculous bluffs. 52/20 over 96 hands

Mp3 is also a fish, 52/3 over 58 hands

Co is an even bigger fish 73/0 over 33 hands.

Party Poker 2.00/4.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, SB calls.

Flop: (12.00 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, CO calls, SB calls.

Turn: (12.00 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, SB calls.

River: (14.00 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds.

Final Pot: 15.00 BB.

Comments? too frisky PF?
Old 11-17-2005, 01:45 PM

Default Re: A8o isolation from the BB

Well since your question is about pre-flop, you should have ended the hand with your 3bet.

Even though the SB is laggy, he is probably still smart enough to know that raising from the SB against 2 callers requires something of a hand.

All 3 players have VPIP over 50% so your 3bet isn't likely to get anyone out. Just call pre-flop. 3bet = spewing chips.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:54 PM

I really really dislike this pre-flop move. All the limpers are fishy, and they're not likely to fold, so dead money is not an argument. Your position relative the aggressor after the flop would have allowed you to face the field with 2 bets and hopefully get it HU. Your putting in 3 bets and going multiway with a weak multi-way hand, no straight or flush value, top pair leaves you with a weak kicker, etc etc etc.

If we pretend pre-flop was a misclick, the rest of the hand is pretty good. I would probably call the flop 3-bet, and then raise his turn bet to try and get rid of the CO.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:18 PM

An isolation raise against SB won't work here since 2 opponents have already called.

So you put in 2 extra bets preflop, out of position with an easily dominated semi-trash hand against 3 opponents. It doesn't sound like a good plan to me.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:30 PM

I fold this preflop 100% of the time.

My thinking is that even if I hit either of my pairs I am never comfortable understanding where I am at. Therefore, even under a good scenario I am in the dark, why do I want to voluntarily take this position?

Flopping 2 pair is not a thought and ought not be used to justify entering the pot preflop.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

My thinking is that even if I hit either of my pairs I am never comfortable understanding where I am at. Therefore, even under a good scenario I am in the dark, why do I want to voluntarily take this position?

Flopping 2 pair is not a thought and ought not be used to justify entering the pot preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should reconsider. Instead of just avoiding marginal post-flop situations, work hard on your postflop play.

Actualy if you aren't comfortable maybe just avoid them..
Old 11-17-2005, 03:47 PM

52/20s don't know how to play poker. However, I don't think you can fold out the other fish. I call.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You should reconsider. Instead of just avoiding marginal post-flop situations, work hard on your postflop play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was hoping/expecting that someone would make this point. I think that it's a correct statement, in general; that is, the more comfortable with our game we are, the more the likelihood that we will venture out into more complex, more uncomfortable situations.

The situation, as presented, seems to offer us a crapshoot in that our opponents are on such a wider variety of hands that we can not effectively use our presumably superior skills to outmaneuver them. Not that I am a no-limit player, but I've heard/read the comment that a superior player will forego a seemingly large edge presently because the consequences of losing (all-in being the most severe) are still not worth the risk. That is to say, it may better to forego a present 60/40 allin in order to exploit a perceived 70/30 skill advantage with less risk.

Now, obviously, we play limit so the extreme risk is not present but, in the instant case, the variance is quite high, imho, and to avoid it is not necessarily bad.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:40 PM

Yeah in honesty i dont think i noticed the limpers stats when i did this as i was just isolating this guy pretty liberaly at this point in the session.

if the 2 limpers are TAGs is the play good then? or still too fancy?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said it was a thought i just posted it in case somebody wanted to make an argument about any other street.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:57 PM

Unless you're pretty sure that you can get the limpers to fold, I don't like the raise in the BB.

Post flop seems OK to me. Looks like SB might have had some type of a busted flush draw. CO's play makes little sense. He's willing to call two bets cold on the flop and with a single turn big bet just folds. (Not to mention that most reasonable draws have the right odds to call.)