Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 04:20 AM

Default Re: Raising middle pairs

or get stacked yourself
Old 07-13-2005, 11:07 AM

Is this what you were after neon?

EV
Old 07-13-2005, 11:13 AM

Depends also a great deal on table image. Depending what table im at im either a rock or a supperagressive. So if i am at a suppertight table i will raise with 88 many times. One it disguises my big hands and they get paid more, two people fold i get blinds, 3 i flop a set, or 4 i can catch a ragged flop. Either way at a passive table this is def +EV if you are playing aggresivly. At a very loose table its a leak and shouldnt be done. Only limp or call but not raise. Thats my two pennies....
Old 07-13-2005, 11:22 AM

Raise em if you're running good.
Limp em if you're running bad.

I realise this was no help at all. You're welcome.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:51 AM

I have no desire to enter the personal debate. FWIW I thought I'd throw out the thought I had that your excellent comments were ruined by the completely unnecessary addition of the last sentence. I always read your posts because I value your opinion......on poker.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Secondly, fim (and I don't know if you're even going to read this or not), but I graduated from a quite reputable college w/ honors, scored a 750 on the math section of the SAT, and still don't know how to make EV calculations. It's not a function of my level of education, or relative intelligence, it's simply b/c I've never seen a simple explanation of the mathematical formula one would use to make such a calculation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree entirely. I started a thread about math stuff a while back and 1800 posted some useful, complicated(!) stuff. Check it out.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:20 PM

I'm a student of the game currently playing a single table on Party at 5/10 and 10/20, full ring only. I would never make this play because my game is not good enough to handle the post-flop play. I'm a rather tight player because it simplifies my game and helps keep me out of post flop trouble.

I watch every single hand carefully, whether I'm in the hand or not, and I've personally never seen a player PFR in EP with mid-low PP. I know that does't mean it hasn't happened. My point is if I ever see that I'm going to make a note to the effect that you're either a 2+2 notable or a complete donk. Of course knowledge is power.