Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 06:55 AM

Default Re: Another funky limp re-raise

This looks terrible. There's never really a need to limp-reraise in a six-handed game. Your opponents will not give you credit for a premium hand when you do this, especially considering that you overlimped rather than openlimped (if they are even thinking that far...)

Furthermore, you've got a calling station in there who has already called the first raise. YOU HAVE SIX-HIGH WITH A CALLING STATION IN THE POT. Yuck.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:08 AM

i get limp raised so freaking often in the 6Max party games its sickening

its usually 50-100bbs more to me and im holding AQ/99 or QQ if im lucky

yuck!
Old 07-12-2005, 07:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Check-fold post flop, definitely.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second that, move didnt work so shut down and cut your losses.
IMO that is even clearer since you have an inside straight draw after the flop. Take the free turn card and hope for a miracle. If not, easy fold.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:32 AM

Default Results/Thoughts

OK, I'm pretty sure I've pulled this move twice. Once was with 76s in that HH that was posted not by me. This is the second time. This is a move that I would try with AA/KK here occasionaly, even overlimping, because the blinds were quite aggressive against limpers here. That's why I thought his raise was more steal-ish. Also he raised big and most people don't routinely raise bigger out of the blinds, they only raise bigger when it is a steal and they don't want action. So I figured I would take it down preflop about 75% of the time and then on the flop probably 75% of the time that I didn't take it down preflop. If those numbers are even close to right, I think it's +EV, right? Hmmm...

+10 75%
+30 19%
-50 6%
->EV = 10

So my initial plan was just to limp in. Then I thought the guy was stealing, so I thought I would re-steal. That worked okay, except for that moron who I didn't think would muck up the works. After all, he had showed no strength. Most people don't put in 20% of their stack with a hand that they just limped in with...

Anyways, on the flop, I still thought I had a TON of fold equity, so I have to fire a bet there. I thought 30 would be enough to get the job done while still leaving me with a little bit of ammo in case that became necessary later.

On the turn, I had basically given up. I didn't have much ammunition left and if he was on a draw (I thought that was pretty likely at this point, because otherwise he would have been pretty likely to c/r all-in) he was certainly going to call on the turn and then beat my 6 high with his missed draw. I also had a miraculous gutshot to hope for, so I think it is a very very easy check behind on the turn.

Then on the river, he took a long time. He ran his time almost all the way down to zero. I was afraid that he was going to bluff all-in with the best hand and I would have to fold. I was also thinking that if he checked, did that mean he was going to call down? I wasn't sure if it would be +EV to fire again on the river if he checked. Also, should I fire all-in, or less? Sometimes they call all-in because they think it is a bluff, when they will fold to slightly less. I wasn't sure what I would do. I didn't need him to fold very often in this $100 pot to make a $25 bet correct. In any case, he finally bet...$15. In a $100 pot, with only $50 behind, he bet $15. Could you possibly be any weaker? I felt like this was 100% a pathetic attempt to bluff with a missed draw. Previously he had pushed all-in several times. That usually says to me that he is pushing all-in with made hands, including some marginal ones. These guys always want calls when they push in. They are idiots and really don't sometimes want calls because their hands are marginal and they will only get called by better hands, but they think that they have something good like two pair and they want a call on their cool looking bets. In any case, I was pretty certain that this was a bluff from a missed draw. So I pushed in. And he folded. Happy land!

But I won't probably won't pull this again until I'm playing higher stakes and/or have deeper stacks.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:15 AM

I've read nothing but the OP, so here goes

1. the victim and action of this move is wrong. what you want is the a LAG on your right who makes a ton of raises that get multiway pots going. having the SB raise can be a real threat here as he may wake up with a real hand. I'd be much more likely to just call with my position and take chips that way.

2. any time you LRR, you're representing a monster. so bet it like you would; bet enough ST your flop push will be all-in. so if you have $100, make it 25. you want folding equity here preflop and flop.

I guess i don't like it because it's inopportune and there are better alternatives. if you have a bad lag on your right giving you problems and there's a good amount of dead money to subsidize, then by all means.

fim

EDIT: If i'm forced to play it your way until the river, i'm shoving it in there 100% of the time and getting called <50% of the time. I hope you did.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:18 AM

Cool. Can you read my thoughts/results post and also comment if you have further to add on my thought process? Thanks.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:23 AM

Default Re: Results/Thoughts

Dont forget - of the 6% of times you are called preflop and on the flop - some percentage of those times you actually end up with the best hand - and thus dont lose 50, in fact winning 50 instead.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:48 AM

Default Re: Results/Thoughts

[ QUOTE ]
Dont forget - of the 6% of times you are called preflop and on the flop - some percentage of those times you actually end up with the best hand - and thus dont lose 50, in fact winning 50 instead.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey, good point. I actually do have SOME equity in the pot. In fact, he could have had a real hand here, I could have hit my gutshot, and stacked him. That will happen occasionally. Then again, occasionally, I will hit a real hand and he will hit a better one and I will get stacked. But that is a good point that I had neglected, thanks!
Old 07-12-2005, 11:11 AM

would you bet the turn if you really had AA? i probably would, so i think you should fire again...which i guess means push.

as for the move, i do this on occassion, but not as second limper in and generally not with a 1-gapper.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
would you bet the turn if you really had AA? i probably would, so i think you should fire again...which i guess means push.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would push, expect to get called, and expect to beat his busted draw or marginal made hand at showdown. That plan doesn't really work here.

[ QUOTE ]

as for the move, i do this on occassion, but not as second limper in and generally not with a 1-gapper.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why not with a one gapper? It's not like the equity difference between the one gapper and the connector is going to be very determinant of the profitability of the move, is it? Most of the time you're flopping diddly squat with either hand.