Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Hey NUMBNUTS, not you, that other guy I forget his handle

I am pretty sure that Stu was a very mathematical player and that maybe Gus Hansen comes closest to his style. Just like Stu, Gus is a calling station, as is another math genius Andy Bloch and don't forget Ulliot called Raymer a calling station also. All mathematical players have a very high calling frequency.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Stu Ungar hands

[ QUOTE ]
Written by Lou Krieger

Famous Bluffs: Stu Ungar versus Ron Stanley

I was fortunate enough to watch this bluff unfold in person, from the press row at the 1997 World Series of Poker.

In the 1997 World Series of Poker, Stu Ungar had been dominating the final table. He was chip leader from the start, and rather than nursing his lead while his opponents eliminated themselves, Ungar attacked early and often.

Once he raised on seven successive hands in a row. Bluffing? Of course he was. But none of his opponents wanted to risk early elimination to find out for sure. Each subsequent rung on the pay ladder was a significant increase in winnings, so each of Ungar's adversaries was apparently content to cautiously inch his way upward.

After Las Vegas professional poker player Ron Stanley stole the blinds a few times, he moved within $200,000 of Ungar. For a moment, it looked like he might overtake him.

But a few hands later the two chip leaders began a heads-up duel. With Ungar in the big blind, Stanley quietly called. The flop was As 9h 6s. Stanley, a seasoned professional, had noticed that each time Ungar flopped top pair with an ace, he checked the flop and bet on the turn. Once again he checked behind Stanley, suggesting that he might be holding an ace once again.

An eight fell on the turn. Stanley, who had a nine in his hand and second pair, bet $25,000. Ungar raised $60,000 and Stanley called. The last card was a king. Stanley checked and folded when Ungar bet $225,000. Ungar brashly turned up his cards, showing Q-10. It was a total bluff. He had no hand whatsoever, and Ron Stanley had released the best hand. Seemingly unnerved by Ungar's bold action, Stanley was eliminated shortly thereafter, while Ungar proceeded to run over the rest of his opponents - who by this time all seemed to realize that they were playing for second place, not the championship

[/ QUOTE ]

Your memory is a little off. Stanley came apart later, after John Stremp hit a one outer on him in a monster pot. He then proceded to bluff off the rest of his chips. After Stuey bluffed him he took it in stride and was still playing well.

You also miss quite a bit in the Stuey hand. It is true that Stuey wound up with nothing and made a great bluff on the river. You miss what happened on the turn however. When Stanley bet $25,000, Stuey correctly put him on second pair and felt he could win the pot right there. If Stanley did call his raise, Stuey had picked up an inside straght draw (which would have given him the absolute nuts), he also felt that he could probably win the pot with a ten or queen. If a ten or queen came, it's anybodies guess what Stuey would have done. I believe he would have checked it down. We know what he would do if a blank came.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:03 PM

Default Re: Stu Ungar hands

[ QUOTE ]
I did read One of a Kind and was convinced that Stuey had a somehwat uncanny natural ability to master card games, but I'm not usually blown away by these hands that people breathlessly retell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Other than the hand against Sztremp, I tend to agree with you; I think there's some dead-hero worship going on. That's not to say the guy wasn't a great player; he was, obviously.

Some of the gin rummy anecdotes are pretty impressive.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Hey NUMBNUTS, not you, that other guy I forget his handle

[ QUOTE ]
All mathematical players have a very high calling frequency.

[/ QUOTE ]

So assume these guys are pretty smart and could be playing the right percentages anyway. Now add the reputation of a calling station who can't easily be bluffed off a pot. Definitely seems like +eV.