Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2005, 10:35 PM

Default L.A. Poker Classic main event

Use this thread to post updates and stuff.

538 entries for this one.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:36 PM

Default Re: L.A. Poker Classic main event

some ugly dude just went all with ak got called by some weirdo with 55. ak won
Old 02-18-2005, 11:46 PM

How are the swedish players doing?
Old 02-19-2005, 09:49 AM

Looks like Phil Hellmuth was shortstacked most of the evening. Then I check the end of day 1 chip counts and he's sitting in 7th chip position with 78,000 in chips. Pretty nice comeback.
Old 02-19-2005, 03:14 PM

Some notable big stacks-

Eli Balas 162,075
Barry Shulman 123,600
Alan Goehring 93,625
Dan Harrington 69,975
Prahlad Friedman 61,550
Erick Lindgren 61,550
Michael Mizrachi 43,800
Gregory Paul Raymer 43,125
Ted Forrest 42,775
Old 02-19-2005, 03:23 PM

Army, are you in the PS Omaha tournament?

If so, I'm at your table, goofball [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Brown trout = 2+2'er
Old 02-19-2005, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Treesong\'s Trip Report

This will be much shorter than my usual trip report. I’m under time pressures.

After spending most of the first three levels at around par, I lose a big chunk of my stack to QQ while holding AK. Chip-critical (at T1400, playing 15-150-300), I move in over a limping Tony Ma with KTs. He's got the ladies again, but the flop comes T T J, turn 9, river T. I
then manage a huge suckout against who I think is Patrick Bruel on the very last hand before a break. He's raising often, and I come over him with AsQs. He calls instantly with AK, but I flop a Q and a spade draw and it holds up.

Then weirdness hits. I'm in the eight seat, with a Mexican gentleman in the nine and Hasan Habib in the ten. The Mexican gentleman is stacking up a large pot when there's a dispute over whether four of Hasan's $500 chips are in the pot or actually Hasan's. The floorman is called, and he (correctly, I think) rules that they're Hasan's. The Mexican guy curses several times and clearly goes off on some kind of tilt, but despite some prompting from a couple of the players, no f-word penalty is imposed. The Mexican fellow is UTG the very next hand, and raises from 300 to about 1000. He's called by the two seat and the three seat, and, as the dealer burns and flops, he shouts
"FIVE!"

Everyone does the usual double take as the flop comes A J 5 rainbow and the Mexican guy moves in instantly for about eleven thousand more. The two seat thinks for only a little bit, and calls. The three seat calls instantly. The Mexican guy shows AK, the two seat shows Presto!, and the three seat shows JJ. The middle set holds and the Mexican gent is out to a sound of a repertoire of curses. And think of it! If the dealer had enforced the F-word penalty, the hand never would have hit him that way.

I then have to make a tough call against Hasan. Holding AT two off the cutoff, I raise to 850. Hasan calls from the button, and we see a flop of As Qd Td. I want to buy any draws and overbet the pot: 2500. Hasan thinks for a moment and calls. When the 6d hits the turn, I check off and Hasan immediately bets 3500. I have about 3925 left, and this is a critical decision. I've played with Hasan often enough: he's solid and fairly careful. After thinking about it for a long time, I decide that the flop bet was too big for him to call on just a diamond draw. I finally figure him either for a Varkonyi or AK with the Kd, but I'm leaning towards the QT because of the preflop call. I call. The river bricks and I bet my last 425. When Hasan has to think about it for more than a second, I know I have him: he calls and shows the QT -- and I'm off the oxygen, baby.

I chip up a bit with 99 to a 7 4 2 flop, and then our table breaks. On the fourth hand or so, I'm in the big blind, playing 200-400 with 50 antes. UTG smooth calls, the cutoff calls, and the SB calls. I see the flop four-handed, holding 9h 5s. My heard jumps into my throat
when the flop comes 6s 7h 8h. I have no idea what the table is like and only know one of the players, so I decide to try to take it right there, and bet out big: 3000. UTG pops it to 11,000 and the button calls instantly for his whole stack of 3600. WTF? I have the 9h, so UTG doesn't have 9hTh. He could have 9T off, but I think he'd just smooth call if he did. I think for just a few seconds and declare all-in. He dwells up until a clock gets called, and finally mucks -- showing 7 6 off as he does so. The button rolls over 66, and I'm a big favorite. My straight holds up, and I stack up a nice pot.

I'm at 32,575 -- 58th, I think, of 190. No idea what my table composition is, but I'll worry about that when I wake up from a nap.

More tomorrow, hopefully good news.
Old 02-19-2005, 03:44 PM

I walked up a few times to check the scene out last night *swoon*

Negreanu's table was right by the rail and he looked like he was doing pretty good at like 8:30 .....freddy deeb was at his table and maybe got some revenge before the night was over?
Old 02-19-2005, 03:45 PM

Deeb and Spirit Rock are at the same table now, I noticed.

Hellmuth doing good, too.
Old 02-19-2005, 04:53 PM

Why did Hellmuth get a penalty? Pokernews.com mentions that he did, but no reason is given.

KJS