Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 07:05 PM

Default Re: Meta-Analysis Project: Help Wanted

[ QUOTE ]

If I measure the batting averages for Barry Bonds over 500 at bats, Andruw Jones over 750 at bats and an above average minor league player over 1000 at bats, then average these for a batting average, I learn nothing. Especially if no one else observes these at-bats and I ask the baseball players to report the data to me themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if all baseballs had 1 pound added to them, and the cumulative average dropped by .200. Sure it wouldn't mean jack [censored], but it would still be interesting.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If I measure the batting averages for Barry Bonds over 500 at bats, Andruw Jones over 750 at bats and an above average minor league player over 1000 at bats, then average these for a batting average, I learn nothing. Especially if no one else observes these at-bats and I ask the baseball players to report the data to me themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if all baseballs had 1 pound added to them, and the cumulative average dropped by .200. Sure it wouldn't mean jack [censored], but it would still be interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and what if you juiced the players, corked the bats, livened the balls and shrunk the stadiums? It wouldn't mean jack, but you'd sure get a lot of HRs. (from metaphor to hijack)
Old 11-07-2005, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would suggest that the difference between the best 2+2er that has won $ over their last 1000 SNGs and the worst 2+2er that has won $ over thier last 1000 SNGs is smaller than the difference between Barry Bonds and a minor leaguer.

The self-reporting problem and all the selection bias problems are huge, but I have an idea about how to mitigate those concerns to the extent that I will be able to understand the data. Also, I personally know the majority of the players who will be reporting their data. So, while I will be asking Barry Bonds to tell me his batting average... he will be likely to tell me the truth since I am his batting coach. Andruw Jones can lie if he wants to, but I just paid for his lap dances last week. The minor leaguers are harder to trust, of course, but I don't think many of them are slipping into this data pool.

The reason why I believe that combining this data is useful is because of the nature of SNGs. Variance is fixed by the structure, and performance boundaries per SNG are narrow because there are only a few hands being played.

Irieguy
Old 11-07-2005, 07:45 PM

Well some have corked the bats *cough Sosa cough* and many have juiced *cough Bonds and many others cough* so we are already 1/2 there.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Andruw Jones can lie if he wants to, but I just paid for his lap dances last week

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this is the only time Yugo and Andruw Jones will ever be analogous.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I am finished, you will know how much money a group of previously successful SNG players earned over 30,000+ SNGs in a short period of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will we know how successful they were earlier?
Old 11-07-2005, 08:13 PM

i will play 5 109s to contribute. i will start with a win and end with a win, using my selective sampling techniques. im sure you will be able to grab oodles of information from that. holla
Old 11-07-2005, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Andruw Jones can lie if he wants to, but I just paid for his lap dances last week

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this is the only time Yugo and Andruw Jones will ever be analogous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well except I'm not in this sampling thing. For several reasons.

*shrug*

Anyway, I don't think Andruw Jones was up in a scrippa club last night with a Peruvian cutie. So, you're right, this *is* his only chance to be analogous to ME.

Ship it batch!

Yugoslav
Old 11-07-2005, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, I don't think Andruw Jones was up in a scrippa club last night with a Peruvian cutie. So, you're right, this *is* his only chance to be analogous to ME.

[/ QUOTE ]

Andruw Jones doesn't stop at first and head back to the dugout.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Andruw Jones doesn't stop at first and head back to the dugout.

[/ QUOTE ]
PWNT BATCH!!!!11one