Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2005, 03:49 PM

Default mid pair HU vs BB aggressor

In the light of day it seems pretty obvious that most of my current issues stem from opening up my game without the requisite post flop skills, so I'm going to break things down and see if I can plug enough leaks to slow down the bleeding. Also wouldn't mind if the deck decided to cooperate a little more, but trying to do something about that seems to require learning another language and tracking down a live chicken (and quite frankly I'm not sure that the chicken wouldn't have the best of it HU).

Anyhoo... I've played about 2 orbits with Villain. I haven't seen him step out of line so far. If he's been paying attention he would have noticed me folding the flop a lot, including a couple check/folds after raising pf. In other words, I've been sending up weak/tight flares. Table has several LAGs but there hasn't been that much aggression either pre or post flop during Villain's orbits.

Party Poker 2.00/4.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(9 handed)</font>

Preflop: grasshopper is MP2 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">grasshopper raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, grasshopper calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, grasshopper ???

This sort of thing happens quite a bit. Not necessarily a blind steal/resteal, but might could be. Seemingly thinking opponent. What do we like?
Old 10-15-2005, 04:14 PM

Default Re: mid pair HU vs BB aggressor

Call, and see what the turn brings. I would probably call down if offered favorable turn &amp; river cards.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:22 PM

I wouldn't like to fold b/c a. you cannot be that sure (given the pot odds you get) you are behind and b. you have position
So it's raise or call. I think you make money here by 3 ways: Making him fold (obviously), Making him draw with bad odds, let go when it is obvious you are behind.
So one line: Raise the flop and let go if he bets again. If he checks, bet and fold to a C-R.
Calling is not bad as well and you can induce a turn bluff bet sometimes (when you are ahead of course). I think raising the turn would be the best in that case. Our hand is very vulnerable to be outdrawn so we need to push him out.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:19 PM

Default turn

Party Poker 2.00/4.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(9 handed)</font>

Preflop: grasshopper is MP2 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">grasshopper raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, grasshopper calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, grasshopper calls.

I decided to just call since I'm in position and can re-evaluate on the turn.

Turn: (4.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, grasshopper ???

This is a potentially interesting turn. Anyone have thoughts about what the check means?
Old 10-15-2005, 05:22 PM

I raise this flop. If we ARE ahead, we can't be giving Overcards a cheap turn look. And if we're behind or looking at a big draw we'll get a 3-bet.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:25 PM

Default Re: turn

This tells me one of 2 things. Either we're WAY behind and the Big C/R is coming, or he has a PP and is afraid of that A, and we're possibly ahead. I check here and call a bet on the river. Might induce a bluff from a sensible player, or get a cheap showdown against a hand you're behind.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:39 PM

This is tough situation. You are either WB, or not that far ahead (he has overs).

I think waitng to raise is the best line. Your pot equity goes way up on the turn if he just has overs. If the turn is favorable raise. After that I'm probably folding to further aggression.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:44 PM

I think getting C/R'd here is very bad. I check the turn and call the river if it isn't another broadway.
Old 10-15-2005, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think getting C/R'd here is very bad. I check the turn and call the river if it isn't another broadway.

[/ QUOTE ]

what if it's another heart? just thinking out loud.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is tough situation. You are either WB, or not that far ahead (he has overs).

I think waitng to raise is the best line. Your pot equity goes way up on the turn if he just has overs. If the turn is favorable raise. After that I'm probably folding to further aggression.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. In addition, when you raise the turn and he calls, you may get a free showdown. Of course, you would for to any more aggression.

Given the way the hand played out, and the way you played it, your opponent is likely to put YOU on overs. Assuming he has you beat, you are getting 4:1 that he will fold to your bluff, 5:2 if you plan to follow through on the river. I would probably wuss out if called on the turn, but certainly you should fire at the turn.