Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2005, 12:40 AM

Default Re: Trouble with AJ, AK, AQ offsuit......

I'm the type of player that usually follows up a preflop raise with a flop bet, no matter what I have. One thing that I've started to notice with the big face cards is that almost all the face cards are outs for you. Raise with AK, flop comes Qxx, bet out and they fold thinking you have AQ or KQ. Also raising with hands like KJs and getting flops like AQx are automatic bets. In this situation a player with lower pocket pairs just sees 2 over cards and has a hard time calling.

Betting at raggy boards, when you totally miss is a lot harder. It depends on if you raised a limper or if someone called you cold. Limpers often limp with middle suited connectors like 98s and may have top pair, or are going to call you with a draw. Cold callers will often have big cards like you or middle to high pairs 88-JJ, possibly lower. If I have a pair like 77 on a flop of 238 and you raise me first I'm gonna have no problem reraising you because you either have big cards and are bluffing or have an overpair. A reraise here lets me find out.

When bluffing with big cards position is your biggest out. I usually wont make a small bet if there are two or more players behind me. 1 is usually ok to go for the bluff, and if you knock him out you can take your free card. The important thing is to mix it up. This includes playing it weak sometimes. You have position headsup your opponent is expecting you to bet out. Check it once in a while even if you think he will fold. Once again you will be drawing to your extra 'outs' or the scare cards. Face card hits and he checks you can and be almost assured that you can win the pot right there.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Trouble with AJ, AK, AQ offsuit......

Another consideration with AK or even AQ if it's heads up or 3 handed. If you have position and somebody has bet into you, sometimes it's a good idea to raise.

If it's 3 handed, you may force one of the other players out of the pot. If it's heads up, you take control of the hand and you may get a free card if checked to on the turn.

I would suggest this move maybe 10-15% of the time just to mix things up.