Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2005, 05:33 AM

Default Re: What is more important in a fight, 100+lbs of weight or skill?

also sorry about that, I read posts in flat mode and just hit reply to whatever the last message was.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:35 AM

Well, just because you're not trained in martial arts doesn't mean you aren't athletic or don't have good timing.

Your reaction speed will rarely be anywhere near what a trained fighter's will be, though, nor your initiation speed(ability to start a movement off). Still, one good blow could do a lot of damage if you weight 3x what your enemy does.

But a blow has to hit to hurt. It's quite possible to hit someone a few times before they can hit back. If those hits are to the eyes or throat, that can be enough to end the fight. Maybe the groin. All those targets are hard to hit on a wary opponent, though, and you can actually fight through groin hits.

There's always a chance for anyone to win, but needless to say, you'd have to have a lot more skill and luck on your side if you were tiny. When you say "skill," there are such huge gradations even between very accomplished people that it would blow your mind, it's hard to even imagine what skill means, in a way. There ARE 100 lb. guys who are incredible fighters. The most famous fighter in Hong Kong in the 50's, and we're talking about street fights that were known throughout the colony, reported in the newspapers, and sometimes even involved weapons AND multiple opponents, weighed 100 lbs, and he was never defeated in over 50 fights. A guy like this could probably do it with little worry. But you probably don't bump into a whole lot of guys like that in your whole lifetime, if that.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:37 AM

In general

Skill > Size when it comes to fighting.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:38 AM

i took up MMA for a year or so. and its possible a light weight could take out a heavy weight with some striking skills. but like you said the light weight cant fight the heavy dude on the ground. so i think there is a chance standing up but on the ground i think it would be rare but possible.

its possible
Old 06-30-2005, 05:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So you disagree if the boy, had say, the skill of Bruce Lee. He still couldnt take the 300 lb man down?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm with you here. I would think that Bruce Lee was so highly trained that he knew how to throw a mean nut punch.

[/ QUOTE ]

You here about that story where some guy came into his backyard while BL was with his son and wanted to fight him?

He axe kicked the guy, with his heel smashing down on the guys chest...cracked the guys rib cage right open. Im pretty sure its true. Never bothered to look it up though.

[/ QUOTE ]

He had a 300 lb. heavy bag in his garage that he could make fly up to the ceiling. Sounds silly, but if you've ever been lifted off the ground and hurled through the air by a good sidekick, you know it's not that nuts. I've been airborne and sent other people airborne plenty of times with a sidekick. For someone with even halfway decent skill, it's not a very big deal to get some pretty big impact out of a kick. Heck, Thai kick boxers are noted for kicking banana trees in half with their roundhouse kicks. I saw my friend do it myself, and even holding the kicking shields for him could be kind of unnerving -- even through the thick pad, you took a huge wrenching jolt from his roundhouses.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:44 AM

That reminds me of the 40 or so midgets that took on a Lion. The Lion killed most of them, the rest were mutilated.

Lion 1 - Midgets 0

Lets put out this example as well. Say you train 50 6year olds just enough to kick and punch you (not well, just enough), do YOU think you could take 50 6year olds at the same time? What if they were allowed to bite?

To answer your question, the 300lb man would crush the boy. W
hen I was in my early teens I was in Judo for many years (Judo sucks BTW). Though I could choke out all my buddies, buy there is no way I would have been able to choke out an average man. Strength is just to big of an issue to overcome.

outs
Old 06-30-2005, 05:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Could a 15 yo boy beat a 300 lb man? Yes, if he is as skilled as Royce.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, 176lb Royce can beat the 300lb man. 100lb Royce would not be able to beat the man.

100lb boy would need a gun to beat the man.

outs
Old 06-30-2005, 06:28 AM

You know the midgets story was fake, right? Yeah, I was disappointed when I found out too.

That said, I do think smaller figther's weight might be more important than the bigger fighter's. I think I could probably take on a well-trained 100 lb 15 year-old, and I'm about 240 with no martial arts training, but I'm not all fat either (gym 4 times a week for an hour and a half on average, all weight training).

EDIT: Think abou the 5 year olds and how many of those you thought you could take on. If the answer was more than let's say 5, you could probably take on this 15 year-old.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:58 AM

As long as the muscle man didn't get in any good blows. Because if the muscle man is sitting on the twig's chest and punching him in the face it is all over.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The boy would have to be pretty damn skilled.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the man would have to be a complete physical-retard. The combination might make it possible.