Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 09:06 PM

Default when the poker gods conspire against you...

This is not a bad beat post. Just something I needed to get off my chest(perhaps it's therapeutic, I don't know yet).

Scene 1: 4-8 Limit at Bally's Las Vegas
Maniac is literally raising every single hand and betting out no matter what comes on the flop. I'm on his left, so I decide I will pick my time to isolate.
Hand 1: I pickup KK. Raised and capped on every street. His 69o rivers a straight.
Hand 2: I picked A9 of clubs. Flop comes 844 two clubs. He of course had raised preflop and bet out on the flop. I call. Turn is a club. He bets, I raise, he re-raises, I call. River blank. He bets. I call. He shows me 84s for a flopped boat.
Hand 3: I pick up KQs. He raises preflop and I raise to isolate. Flop comes Kx3. He bets I raise, he called. Turn is a Q. he checks, i bet, he calls. River is a 3. He bets out and I call. He turns over J3o for rivered trips.
After these and a few other beats, I'm down about 25BB and quit the session.

Scene 2: Online at PP (2/4 multitabling)
I start playing and things go well initially, and I'm up about 20BB. Then I suffer what seemed to be an endless stream of bad card, bad luck and bad beats, and actually end the session down 75BB.

Scene 3: Bay 101(3/6)
No bad beats here. Just good cards getting beaten by even better cards. Set over set, full house to quads, two pair to better 2 pair. Dropped about 17BB before I decide that the poker gods have forsaken me this week.

I'm seriously thinking of quitting the game at this point. I don't think I can deal with the losses anymore. I thought I was a winning player, but I've been on a losing streak for a long time, even though I play the cards the way they are *supposed* to be played. I did not tilt through these sessions(the only thing I can take pride in I guess, given that a good chunk of my bankroll is gone).

Any words of wisdom from the battle hardened veterans on this forum?
Old 09-30-2005, 04:06 AM

Default Re: when the poker gods conspire against you...

play NL?
Old 09-30-2005, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is not a bad beat post.

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost fell for that.

Mack
Old 09-30-2005, 02:15 PM

I'm going through the worst, 2 month long, cold streak of my life (been playing or 12 or so years) so I can relate...

Best advice is take a few days off, clear your head, examine the hands you were involved in, go into your next session expecting to win.... If you don't win, just realize that you've come to a point where you've played enough poker that your un-heater (which was going to happen eventually) is here... I've heard it put this way: "if you haven't had a series of 10 or more losing sessions -despite being a solid player- you just haven't played THAT much poker"..... Happens to everyone eventually..
Old 09-30-2005, 04:00 PM

I too am experiencing a horrible run of cards (must like everyone has at some point). I have been at 3/6 and 5/10 (both 6 max) table where the average V$IP is over 50 and gotten creamed. I dropped 10% of my bankroll last night and I have sworn off poker for a week. Besides tilting off my last $20, it was all through bad luck. Hopefully the time off will help my mental state.

It sucks. But the what gets me through it is that I am playing with other people's money and I will get it back, eventually. Take a few days off, do not think about poker and start anew in October.