Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2005, 10:45 PM

Default Re: The Death of a Good Friend

This should now be a good game for a lot of our posters.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:46 PM

This is the worst news I could possibly hear about anything.

AHH!!!!!
Old 12-14-2005, 10:46 PM

lapoker, do you know if these changes are in effect for LA as well?
Old 12-14-2005, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For what it's worth, I just talked to someone in the top section and she said that they expect to have things back to normal by next week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you Lord. It's a Christmas Miracle!
Old 12-14-2005, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lapoker, do you know if these changes are in effect for LA as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't address me but since he said its a new law in colma I would guess that no, it does not change anything in LA
Old 12-14-2005, 10:50 PM

it could easily set a precedent though which would suck
Old 12-15-2005, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it could easily set a precedent though which would suck

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you've misunderstood what precedent means, or at least, specifically what it means in terms of law. If Los Angeles was not previously considering similar legislation, chances are very poor that this decision will affect them in any way.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:57 AM

I do not understand why towns want this kind of law. What is the driving force behind the politicians who pass it?

And in a town like Colma can't Lucky Chances just corrupt it or cheat? What is their malfunction?
Old 12-15-2005, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I do not understand why towns want this kind of law. What is the driving force behind the politicians who pass it?

And in a town like Colma can't Lucky Chances just corrupt it or cheat? What is their malfunction?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think typically towns/states institute these kinds of laws in the hopes of stopping people from becoming raving gamble-aholics and flushing their lives away. Or at least, stopping them from doing it quickly.

Lots of states/counties do it actually, Florida and Washington come to mind immediately, and Colorado too.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think typically towns/states institute these kinds of laws in the hopes of stopping people from becoming raving gamble-aholics and flushing their lives away. Or at least, stopping them from doing it quickly.

Lots of states/counties do it actually, Florida and Washington come to mind immediately, and Colorado too.

[/ QUOTE ]
link 1
link 2

ppl need to do some research before expressing utterly unfounded opinions. from the first article:

[ QUOTE ]
It all started in 1996 when card clubs, looking to cement their market share in the state's metropolitan areas, got a law passed barring any new clubs with "no limit" gambling.

Right about that time, Colma -- which was looking around for a cardroom to help pay its bills -- passed an ordinance allowing gambling in the town that included a $200-per-hand limit.

A couple of years later, when it finally got a cardroom, Colma passed a new law, lifting the $200 limit.

Another cardroom -- Artichoke Joe's in nearby San Bruno -- shot off a letter of complaint to the attorney general's office

[/ QUOTE ]
from the second article:

[ QUOTE ]
Colma’s loss could be San Bruno’s gain. The city is home to Artichoke Joe’s, an 84-year-old cardroom that under San Bruno law offers unlimited betting on several games. After hounding state regulators for years about Lucky Chances, Artichoke Joe’s attorney, Alan Titus, succeeded in winning a ruling that Colma’s ordinance allowing for no-limit betting violated state law.

[/ QUOTE ]
this is simply about competition. the town of colma desperately wants the tax revenue generated by allowing no-limit betting, it could care less how fast gamblers flush away their lives.