Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 11-28-2005, 11:34 PM

Default A sexy preflop raise

OK, so I'm working on identifying some new preflop raise opportunities and not relying on charts. The 2 guys on my right are identified as Major Wussy (possibly the biggest wuss I've ever sat down against)and Villain, who also has an AF under 1. I've seen both of these guys fold to aggression in very strange circumstances, so I know they are weak players. I'd like to know what you guys think of my preflop raise and also if I wasn't aggressive enough after the flop. Let me have it:

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 :#A500AF(Major Wussy)/ calls, CO :#A500AF(Villain)/ calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 :#A500AF(Major Wussy)/ calls, CO :#A500AF(Villain)/ calls.

Flop: (7.40 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Major Wussy checks, Villain checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Major Wussy folds, Villain calls.

Turn: (4.70 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Villain checks, Hero checks.

River: (4.70 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Villain bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 6.70 BB
Old 11-28-2005, 11:35 PM

Default Re: A sexy preflop raise

fold the river
Old 11-28-2005, 11:36 PM

What is your rationale on the river?

If you were planning a call on the river unimproved, it would have been better to bet the turn.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:38 PM

Why check the turn with nothing and call the river with nothing?
I prefer betting with nothing on turn and folding with nothing on river over that but I check the turn and fold the river here. He has something.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:44 PM

*grunch*

I don't mind the raise preflop. You should either fold this or raise to fold the blinds.

As for the turn and river, I would continue to pound, especially since you were heads up on the turn against a weak player.

But then again, I all still learning myself so take this for what you will.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:52 PM

Either fold the river UI or bet the turn and check behind/bet on the river based on your read of villain.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:04 AM

I like the pfr. Been trying this myself lately for the same reason. If a known (and I mean KNOWN, not suspected) idiot is the only caller to me in late pos, I'll raise most of the hands I'd raise if it was folded to me. Been working well.
That said, I'm a little scared to take it too far, as I have a tendency to. Soon I'll be cold-calling anyone who's &gt;30/&lt;5/&lt;3, then my VPIP will get back up into the high 20's, and we all know where it goes from there.
Good luck, let me know how it goes.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:09 AM

I like the raise pre flop. The continuation bet on the flop seems okay as well. I don't understand the check on the turn if you're going to call the river with king high. I'd rather bet the turn and try to force them out, rather then check and call with the second best high hand. I think the only two lines you can really take are the following.

1) Bet flop, bet turn, take free showdown (unless you improve).
2) Bet flop, check turn, fold river UI
Old 11-29-2005, 02:11 AM

Preflop raise: good

flop bet: marginal
It's a drawy flop but with lower cards and your opponents have told you nothing yet so a bet is ok. Between a check and bet is close and with more passive opponents its probably better to bet

turn check: fine. occasional bet against complete and utter calling station.

river call: no
Ace high, maybe I call if I know the opponent. King high, I am not calling unless I know the opponent to be overly aggro.

Its good to make pf adjustments so Im happy that you are thinking more in terms of real poker and not charts, but for the most part that river call has to go. Remember that not only is pf situational, but postflop even moreso, so adjust to conditions and fold the river in most circumstances.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:00 AM

PF raise is o.k.--but only based on your reads. Without these reads you will hemmorrhage money with K10o. You have to bet the flop. If no one folded the flop bet, then checking the turn is right and you should check/fold the river unimproved. You should bet the turn against one opponent here and check the river, but with your line, you should definitely fold to the river bet. You said his AF was less than 1--where is his aggression coming from on the river? In general, when a passive player bets into you, he has a hand.