Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 05:48 AM

Default Lebanese Food

Tonight I am going to a lebanese restaraunt for the first time. I have had sandwiches from a lebanese shop before and quite like the lamb based stuff but after some recommendations.

The menu is Here any ideas?
Old 10-27-2005, 05:57 AM

Default Re: Lebanese Food

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Lebanese food.

Cold appetizers: Warak'inab, Lebanese salad, Batata harra
Hot appetizers: Foul medammas, Hommos Ma'a Lahma wa snober
Skewered meats: Kafta Kash, Kibbeh Istanbuliyah, Al-Shami Kafta Daj
Desserts: Baklava or Arabic ice-cream
Old 10-27-2005, 06:28 AM

You need to order this: [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
[ QUOTE ]
18 - Nikha'at Salatah
Lamb's brain salad

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually went to this restraunt for our work christmas thing last year!!! It was kinda average, but I think this may have been because they were so busy. I figure it might be better when it's quieter -- let me know what you think.

Anyway.... I like all the dips (Tabbouleh, Houmus, Babbaganoush etc.), some stuffed vine leaves, Halloumi cheese, falafel etc.

Just get a whole bunch of side dishes to share, and then you can work out what you like or don't like.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:41 AM

48 - Laham Mashwi
Tender lamb cubes grilled with onions and tomatoes

49 - Laham Mashwi Ma'a al-fitr
Tender lamb cubes grilled with onions, tomatoes and mushrooms

lebanese grilled lamb rocks.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:58 AM

Lebanese food is similar to lots of middle eastern food.

my favorite thing is a basic chicken schwarma.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:58 AM

Moutabel
Warak'inab
Mohammara Bil-Jawz
Batata Harra Hommos Shawarma Sujuq
these are all fantastic mezzeh dishes. par for the course at lebanese restaurants is to order a bunch of appatizers, share them, and then move on to main courses if the stomach allows. if made prperly, i swear by all of these dishes.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:14 AM

Quick trip report.

Group of ten of us got there wasnt too busy all sat down they got round to serving us drinks after 5 minutes, all the drinks were finished and we were all looking for refills before they bothered to come and order our food, the service was shocking all night, service charge included otherwise I would have stiffed on the tip.

Foodwise our table never got organised one end ordered a load of starters whereas at my end we went for one starter, one main course probably an error, I had tried to get us going for the set menu which would have been them brining out a load of mixed stuff but noone else was interested. Ordering consisted of shouting out numbers to the waiter at the other end of the table they then took the menus away so when the food came it was chaos as noone remembered what they ordered.

My starter ended up down the other end with the people with multiple stuff but our end we shared things around and had houmous and bread on top of the other stuff. Food was ok but nothing special and not as nice or fresh tasting as from the lebanese sandwich shop.

Main course I ended up going for the Kibbeh Bil-Siniyeh so messed that up remebering the recommendations from here, was pretty dry and not that tasty as an added bonus others at the table felt it looked like a cowpat.

By the end I was pissed off was totally average food as experienced by Stigmata. The slow service really got on my nerves as it cut severely into our drinking time.

Hopefully we wont be back.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:36 AM

OK thanks for that.... I was planning to try the restraunt out again at non-peak time, but I wont bother now!

Thought I would post a quick Oxford Restraunt review for anyone who is interested. THese are the places I like:

Kasbah on cowley road (Tapas) is my favourite, good place to go with friends, really relaxed atmosphere and great food.

Bar Mezze in Headington (not dissimilar to what you had last night) is OK if you fancy a quick, cheap bite to eat. It's not far from my house do it's kinda easy.

Thai Orchid (St. Clements) is good.

Lemon Tree (Woodstock Road) is great if you want a Posh, expensive meal. It's all too easy to run up an expensive tab here though [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Petite Blanc, food is what you expect (high standard), but actually not too expensive. If you get there arfter 10pm you can get reduction I think.

The Star Inn in Stanton St. John is my fav. for no-frills pub grub.

I don't really know the restraunts in Jericho, more just Central/East Oxford.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really know the restraunts in Jericho, more just Central/East Oxford.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not worth the effort the Indian there Jahmals (I think) is average there maybe some hidden gems but dont think so.

Decent ones I know, Bangkok House excellent Thai restaraunt dont know the street names in Oxford very well but if you walk from the bus station up to the train station its over the canal on the right.

There is also a good chinese/thai place at Headington more of a cafe is one of the first shops just past the Co-op.

Also my fave more of a stuff your face place but decent quality for an eat as much as you like Buffet and thats the Dancing Dragon at Summertown.

Have never eaten on Cowley road apart from at Kebab Kid after the Zodiac.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Have never eaten on Cowley road apart from at Kebab Kid after the Zodiac.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, nice [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I was probably the wobbly guy in the queue ordering a veggie burger.

I forgot about that chinese in headington - (hang chow, i havent tried Yummy's which is the cafe-style one next door) - it's great. One of those chinese that looks crap, but the food is really very good.