Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2005, 03:59 AM

Default Re: Amazing but Sad Photos

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I call bullshit on this one. Why wouldn't the photographer help the kid to the "food place?" Or go get him some food.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it's against a journalist's code of ethics to interfere with his subject is the easy answer. The more likely answer is that behind the photographer, there was pandemonium in which a child with no hope of survival was not a top priority.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think there was pandemonium. I think your first reason is correct.

From http://www.thisisyesterday.com/ints/KCarter.html :

"In 1993 Carter headed north of the border with Silva to photograph the rebel movement in famine-stricken Sudan. To make the trip, Carter had taken a leave from the Weekly Mail and borrowed money for the air fare. Immediately after their plane touched down in the village of Ayod, Carter began snapping photos of famine victims. Seeking relief from the sight of masses of people starving to death, he wandered into the open bush. He heard a soft, high-pitched whimpering and saw a tiny girl trying to make her way to the feeding center. As he crouched to photograph her, a vulture landed in view. Careful not to disturb the bird, he positioned himself for the best possible image. He would later say he waited about 20 minutes, hoping the vulture would spread its wings. It did not, and after he took his photographs, he chased the bird away and watched as the little girl resumed her struggle. Afterward he sat under a tree, lit a cigarette, talked to God and cried. "He was depressed afterward," Silva recalls. "He kept saying he wanted to hug his daughter." "
Old 10-05-2005, 04:00 AM

Default Re: Amazing but Sad Photos

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I call bullshit on this one. Why wouldn't the photographer help the kid to the "food place?" Or go get him some food.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it's against a journalist's code of ethics to interfere with his subject is the easy answer. The more likely answer is that behind the photographer, there was pandemonium in which a child with no hope of survival was not a top priority.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you google around, you will find that this child is in fact a girl, and the photographer did take her to the aid station after shooting the pic. The pic won a pulitzer prize, what are you calling bullshit on exactly?