Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 03:20 PM

Default Tournament Hand Thought Process

I have a huge problem of going on auto-pilot and almost instantly reacting to a hand without giving it much thought. Is there a particular thought process that successful tournament players implement on hands that warrant it? i.e. chip count, # of players in hand, table image, etc.? What are the things that you try to think about each and every time you are involved in a hand? Let's assume stacks are deep and we are not to the bubble. If something like this has already been posted I apologize and would love a link to the thread.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Tournament Hand Thought Process

sizing up your possible actions before the action to you is a big help. "okay a raise to me, I reraise". "folds to me, I'm stealing this, anybody limps I'm folding" "...or raising" etc... You still have to be able to adjust on the fly, as every action can not be accounted for and depending on which players are making the action. Was it an aggro? tight? Most importantly if their is betting to you, you need to know if you have the odds to call.

You should take about the same amount of time to act on each hand, including your obvious folds. If you give yourself say 3 or 5 seconds each time, it allows for a little self-restraint and you may be able to avoid those improper instacalls.