Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2005, 10:28 PM

Default Re: What motivates you?

ohhhh I get it.

OK, a worry that I won't be able to make this much money forever, a way to make money so I can convince my parents that I should take time off from going to school, a way to make money so I don't have to work at a real job, and a way to be able to afford the fancy stuff that I always wanted to buy. I also just like to be good at things... I love playing poker, so I want to become a great player. The money is obviously the more important part though.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:06 PM

1. I hate schedules and the 9-5 life. Poker lets me avoid that.

2. I want to secure financial independence. Moreover, doing that through unique unconvential means has a lot of appeal.

3. I'm afraid our time is running out with games this good/legality.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:17 PM

Money makes money so if I can make a lot playing poker then I can make a lot from doing little later from investments.

Freedom is the main one for me. If I wanna stay up to 2am and watch cricket I can. If I wanna go on holiday for 3 months I can.

Destiny is in my own hands, I do not need to work for the man. I dont need to suck up to anyone.

The challenge of the game, outplaying people who are good is a necessary ego boost.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:29 AM

3. I'm afraid our time is running out with games this good/legality.

Is this fear based on anything? I am not asking to be a wise ass, but because I respect what you have to say.

I have a more optimistic view of the future. Mostly based on America opening the gates to online gambling sites.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:30 AM

My wife.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:18 AM

I have a series of daily/weekly/monthly/and even yearly rewards set into a three year financial plan I created.

This plan includes rewards for meeting savings goals/hand goals/retirement goals/and so on. It also includes a set amount of hands to play every month, and this number varies, so if I do 50k one month I only need to do 30k the next.

My entire plan is based around me winning only 1bb/100 and getting HALF the rakeback I usually get.

The rewards I set for myself are small and non bankroll consuming...like if I meet my daily hand goal each day I play in a 6 dollar sub qualifier for the party cruise, or if I hit my weekly goal in hands AND money I give myself 100 to play in multi qualifers the following week....etc

I also have rewards built in I only get if I don't spend over my monthly nut (which usually isnt a problem as I have a 500 dollar leeway built into that anyway)

The weekly and monthly rewards are usually based around tournament entries (Like if I go over my $goal by x I give myself x amount of Sunday multi qualifiers). From those entries I EXPECT to lose everytime, and anything I win goes 40% into bankroll, 40% into savings, and 20% for me to blow on toys (but not completely useless [censored])

I find that this is a cheap way to stay on track, so when I wake up I'm not thinking "I hope I can get in a lot of hands today"...instead I think the night before "Tom I need to play about 2 2.5 hour sessions to stay on track" and I can plan my day accordingly.

Lastly, I also give myself time to play other games if I'm feeling bored with limit hold em, as I find mixing things up keeps poker fun

I have been playing seriously for three years now, two for my primary income, and have found through trail and error the rewards/goals system to be the best strategy to stay motivated and make each day purposeful
Old 09-04-2005, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What motivates you to play lots of hours of poker? This is mostly aimed at people who have played 2+ years and are now bored of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are bored of the game then play a new game. You can make plenty of money playing Omaha or stud or SnG's
Old 09-04-2005, 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i bought a house

now i need to make money to pay morgage payments

[/ QUOTE ]

Klepton,

Just curious, how did you manage to buy a house? Aren't you a fairly young guy with no job and I'm assuming (based on your personal confessions) not much credit history?

Not trying to flame you, just genuinely curious as to how/where you purchased. PM please if you prefer not to respond here.

Thanks,

Nigel
Old 09-04-2005, 05:23 AM

screw pm, i'm interested too.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:32 AM

Ditto.