Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 08:28 PM

Default Re: Negreanu\'s latest blog update...

[ QUOTE ]
Arguing over 5% equity in a freeroll is going to look very funny in a few years. Good luck finding $2 mil freerolls after poker isn't on prime time TV anymore. This is the golden age.

[/ QUOTE ]

BINGO! This smacks of Indy drivers b*tching about Danika Patrick. Is it fair? Absolutely not. But would you have a $5 mil (or whatever) bankroll right now w/o TV? Absolutely not. Hard to imagine how some of these people who are so freaking smart can't understand don't bite the hand that feeds you, even if it smacks you around every now and then.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:38 PM

re: don't bite the hand that feeds

It's interesting you mentioned this because Daniel has talked about this fact as well. It's also a red herring because Daniel didn't get fed so his complaining couldn't be construed as biting the hand that feeds.

Let's face it, the TOC is a hell of a lot less about charity than making money despite any "give back" PR from Harrah's that gets spewed.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:42 PM

Default wouldn\'t they have qualified irregardless?

Chan and Brunson won bracelets this year and Hellmuth placed a lot at the actual wsop.

How does the pt system work?
Old 11-07-2005, 08:45 PM

Default Re: wouldn\'t they have qualified irregardless?

[ QUOTE ]
How does the pt system work?

[/ QUOTE ]

Point System for WSOP Circuit events.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:48 PM

Of course the TOC is about making money, 100% selfish plain and simple. I'm just saying it's a symbiotic relationship, and the pros would still be grinding it out in smokey backrooms 12 hours a day if it weren't for TV, which fuels these big tourneys. Especially the charismatic Negreanu. TV has been a godsend to his career. If your sugar daddy has a bad day and takes it out on you, live with it.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:54 PM

When you look at the facts surrounding the exemptions (which were completely left out of Mr. Negreanu's blog entry), the addition of Phil, Johnny and Doyle begins to look a lot more justifiable (if not necessarily the "right" thing to do). Harrah's was originally bankrolling the freeroll tournament's $2 million. They were approached by Pepsi, who wanted to assume the $2 million payment obligation (thus freeing Harrah's from having to make the payment). Pepsi asked for two things: (1) they wanted to be able to promote a new product both at the tournament and on the ESPN broadcast, and (2) they wanted to add Phil Hellmuth, Johnny Chan and Doyle Brunson to the tournament. These three players will be part of a Pepsi campaign later this year and also increase the profile of the tournament as a whole. If I am Harrah's, I accept this deal immediately, even if it may ruffle some feathers. The net gain over the long run if "mainstream" sponsors such as Pepsi are putting up money for poker tournaments offsets any annoyance some of the players may have. The PGA has for years allowed sponsors exemptions for the sponsors WHO ARE PUTTING UP THE PURSE MONEY, which is why Michelle Wie was able to compete against PGA golfers this past year (bringing much more attention to an otherwise pedestrian event). Sponsors will always want some control if they are putting up a large amount of money, and players should accept that and choose to play or not play. This is hardly a disaster, and I think Daniel overreacted.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:07 PM

Yeah, how could Daniel N. not respect cold-blooded capitalism? Doesn't he know you should break your word if you get paid enough?

I mean, the nerve of that guy...

And talk about an overreaction! Writing a blog entry explaining how the deal was unfair.

I wish this Daniel Negreanu maniac would just calm down and act civilized. He's completely out of control.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:24 PM

No one ever said he was out of control. Look I like the guy a lot, he's one of my poker heros. I just don't agree with his righteous stand on this issue. I would acknowledge that it's not fair, accept that TV pays the bills, and move on.

Now all I need is that $5 million bankroll so anyone will care what I have to say.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:03 PM

This is one of the few things that I agree with ole danny boy with. It is scary to think about corporate poker sponsorship and promotion, ala Harrahs Entertainment, without adequate player based representation.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:34 PM

I never suggested Daniel was a maniac or out of control for voicing his opinion on this issue in his blog. I simply think, after understanding more about the circumstances surrounding the exemptions, that he overreacted a bit. As for Daniel not respecting cold-blooded capitalism... Daniel is one of the largest beneficiaries of the influx of money that cold-blooded capitalism has brought to the poker world. He retains an agent, seeks numerous endorsement opprtunities and actively brands his name and FCP. Someone who participates so actively in the benefits that mainstream sponsors are bringing to the table should be a little more understanding that there is give and take in the process.