Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 06:04 PM

Default Re: I am worried today

[ QUOTE ]
Neteller isn't a US Company, so the US shouldn't have any records from Neteller. A Poker Stars withdrawl would likely take about a day to hit Neteller and then 2-3 days from Neteller to whatever bank.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well don't forget Neteller does require your SSN. I think the way it works, and I could be wrong, is that they don't communicate with the IRS normally. But if you are audited and the IRS specifically requests information from Neteller, then they will give them info. Probably another reason (possibly the main reason) they require SSN is to prevent duplicate accounts. Also, FYI, my cashout from Pokerstars to Neteller was literally instant. Right after I hit the "cashout" button in Pokerstars, the money was IN my Neteller account.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:03 PM

yes...on pokerstars cash-outs (depending on amount relative to your deposits I believe) it can often-times be instant.
Although it still does take a couple days to get it back to your bank (if that's a concern).

The fact that neteller is free and easy is the greater incentive for me...the fact that it is a little faster than a check in the mail is nice also.

I did not have to give neteller my SS# to open my account I think...but this was over 2 years ago.

I suspect that if I opened a new one THEN I would have to give my SS#.

Yes - it is my understanding (from what I've read here) that neteller, although not an American company, is willing to cooperate with IRS requests.
So your transactions might not be immediately noticeable by the IRS. But if you have a neteller account that is attached to a bank and the IRS decides to come looking into any other transactions that were made through neteller that did NOT appear in your bank, then you are obligated to show them your neteller records (it's the law, so I've been informed). And if you don't cooperate then they can either make assumptions that you're probably hiding something (I think) or they can ask neteller to show them your records, or both.

I think that trying to mess with the IRS in this way is likely not a long-term +EV play.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:14 PM

Neteller doesnt ask for your whole SSN. Just the last 4 digits.

But, with that in hand, along with your other info, they do some sort of credit or background check on you. That is how they get the info for their ID verification questions (did you ever live at 4321 Jasper street in Houston? Do you have a brother named Lionel? Did you ever live in any of the following counties?).

Perhaps you gave them the last 4 and dont remember, because it didnt register. I wonder if its worth your time indirectly finding out from Neteller, just in case you care someday.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:16 PM

I don't know if the reverse holds (I assume it does), but you cannot use neteller with an American bank account without providing proof of legal US residence.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It went through Toronto and I could tell that the US customs dept had opened it because they retaped it with their special tape. Does this mean that they reported it to the IRS?

[/ QUOTE ]

One agency of the federal government coordinating with another federal agency? I'd say the Houston Texans have a better chance of winning the Superbowl this year.

Hell, the federal government can't even get two people sitting in adjacent cubicles to coordinate with each other.