Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 10:29 AM

Default 65 suited UTG

Loose/Aggressive 10/20 game, live here in town. I've got 65s UTG and limp, with almost certainty that I'll get 5 callers and 60% chance it will be raised.
Next guy raises, one caller, next guy reraises, next guy calls, BB caps it and I call. Capped preflop does not happen often. Usually just raised and sometimes re-raises.
This isn't about the hand, it's about the fact that I called and everyone told me how stupid I was for limping UTG with 65s, much less calling 3bets cold, as I was stacking my chips. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
I Love home games.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:21 AM

Default Re: 65 suited UTG

Get this into the muck as soon as possible. How many bets do you really want to put in preflop with 65s UTG? Just because you won the pot does not mean you made the most optimal decision for this situation.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:27 AM

With 6 in the pot this is a fairly easy call, actually (well it is for me).

Suited connectors are a great trapping hand which you can get away from if you don't flop anything much, which you need to do if you are gonna win against 5 others. And when you win you'll often win big.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

This isn't about the hand, it's about the fact that I called and everyone told me how stupid I was for limping UTG with 65s, much less calling 3bets cold, as I was stacking my chips. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
No offense, but they were right. Glad you got lucky though.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
as I was stacking my chips. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, generally if you're using this argument, you're a fish. Hope you're the anti-stereotype...
Old 07-20-2005, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With 6 in the pot this is a fairly easy call, actually (well it is for me).

Suited connectors are a great trapping hand which you can get away from if you don't flop anything much, which you need to do if you are gonna win against 5 others. And when you win you'll often win big.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're saying the 3 cold is an easy call?? Maybe, MAYBE the initial limp, if you can expect 6 callers and no more than one raise. However if it's 60% chance of a raise, 40% chance of a 3-bet, etc, you have to fold this. Your position is terrible, and you're putting in way too much preflop. Sure you can get away from it (although not if you hit even runner-runner draws in a capped 6-way pot..) but you're getting away from your 4 small bets..
Old 07-20-2005, 01:57 PM

I feel as if i've read something, somewhere, about playing in wild games, that is, games where many pots are capped many ways. It seems to me as if the author said that hands like 65s should never be played, because if you have to pay several bets to see the flop, you aren't getting good implied odds.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:12 PM

I used to play those kind of hands from early position and I would justify it in all kinds of ways (loose game, if I don't really hit the flop I'll fold, my opponents suck, etc..). A good friend of mine who has made a living playing poker at the middle limits for over 15 years listened patiently while I explained to him why I play those hands, and how loose the game always is and so on. When I was finished he looked me right in the eyes and said "that's a leak bro, and thats all I'm going to say about it." I was too stupid to listen at first, and a year later I can tell you without a shred of doubt in my mind: that is a leak in your game.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel as if i've read something, somewhere, about playing in wild games, that is, games where many pots are capped many ways. It seems to me as if the author said that hands like 65s should never be played, because if you have to pay several bets to see the flop, you aren't getting good implied odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's okay to play hands like this in loose/passive games as opposed to loose aggressive games. In games where you can easily lose a lot of bets in a single hand, it doesn't usually pay to draw at non-nut flushes and sucker straights. With 65s, you never really have a monster, and not all your opponents are playing strictly big cards, so those times you hit trips, it's not unlikely to be up against a bigger kicker.

Here's to flopping 2h-3h-4h.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
with almost certainty that I'll get 5 callers

[/ QUOTE ]

the man said....

here's an example (it's not a direct correlation but the point is the same) where I call with clearly an inferior/dominated hand but win big because I hit big.....

Paradise Poker 8/16 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $8.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO (poster) calls, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, CO folds, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (22 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Button calls, Hero calls, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (15 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

River: (27 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 29 BB

MP2 has a pair of queens, but 55 or 88 or KK or AA or Ax [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] would also have played strongly.