Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2005, 05:09 PM

Default Yet another Bellagio 30/60 hand

12 hour session last night, and this was my only tricky decision. (because I didn't get any cards)

EMP raises, I'm next and 3bet with AK. SB calls my 3bet cold. BB fold, EMP calls.

Flop is QJ4, all diamonds. I have the Kd. checked to me, and I check behind.

Turn is an offsuit ace. checked to me and I bet. SB check-raises, EMP folds, I call.

River is a black 8. SB bets.

Call or fold?

The villian is new to the table. the only hand I have with him was when I raised with AQc and he called from the blind. flop went check-bet-call. turn check-check, river he bets, I call with unimproved AQ and he tables Kx and I scoop.

-Scott
Old 07-01-2005, 05:34 PM

Default Re: Yet another Bellagio 30/60 hand

hi sobe

bet the flop. you don't have a draw to the nuts, and you might be able pick-up the pot right there. if you had the Ad, you should then check it down, but not with the Kd. you must bet that.

as for the rest of the hand, you've got to call scott. you've got an easy call on both turn and river. he's got the Ad.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:48 PM

betting the flop might give you a chance to take free card on turn. getting checkraised on the flop is OK
Old 07-01-2005, 06:41 PM

I would think that 1 in 5 he has AK, and there is enough in there for call on the river. If he is tricky, he could have a set of jacks or AQ, figuring that if you checked the flop, the ace hit you or you would pretend it did. Most definately a call though.
Old 07-03-2005, 01:10 AM

With 8.5 big bets in the pot - you have tptk, I think you're obligated to call. I think raising is better then folding. Opponent could have a week ace, no?
Old 07-03-2005, 01:20 AM

why are we not betting the flop here with the Ad?
Old 07-03-2005, 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With 8.5 big bets in the pot - you have tptk, I think you're obligated to call. I think raising is better then folding. Opponent could have a week ace, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Please don't 3 bet with the almost definate worst hand here.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:23 AM

His line is way too weird for you to not call. If we are applying logic to the SB, what monster hand could he have that he plays like that?
Old 07-03-2005, 06:36 AM

Wow, that is either a bad semi bluff or he doesnt mind the possibility of giving out free cards. Unless of course he thinks you will definitly bet the ace.

Weird line for him to take. You are either chopping (unless a diamond hits, which is either good or bad) or behind two pair (AQ)
Old 07-03-2005, 02:21 PM

If I'm not mistaken it's actually 10 BB in the pot...is it not? I'm not so much concerned about the tptk, but the way the hand was played suggests one of two things, either he has a pretty big hand, i.e. AdQx, QQ, AA. Or he is trying to make a play on a pot. By planning to check raise with a marginal hand he is giving himself the opportunity to see the river for free (if you give it to him), or the opportunity to make a play on the pot if you bet. I am fairly sure that he has a pretty solid hand. He probably wanted to check raise the flop but when it got checked he couldn't. When the Ace hit it almost certainly hit you or the other preflop raiser, this gives him another chance to check raise with a big hand. Because he didn't seem to fear a check I see him having the Ad. My guess is AQ or AA, with AQ being much more likely. What concerns me i what kicker would he coldcall 3 bets with preflop? AA, AK, AQ, Hopefully AJ, but probably not. BUT, because he could simply be holding the Ad (top pair and nut flush draw) it is definitely worth 10-1 to call. But don't raise.

(KK is even a possibility I guess. Some people freak out when an Ace hits, even in games this big.)