Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2005, 09:22 AM

Default At What Limit Will I Not See This?

I play 15/30 limit PP one table only. I take a seat next to some lady has about $4500.00 to my left.Observers and players at table are chatting about how good she is.She was down to $200.00 and ran it up in a short time.Two observers she busted.Second hand I am dealt AA in CO. 2 limpers to me I raise all call. Flop Rainbow J 4 7. 2limpers to me I raise she reraises, 1 limmper folds , 1 calls, I 3 bet she calls limper folds.Now I think she might have a set. It is only my second hand at table.Turn T I bet she raises I call. River 2 I check she bets I call. She has J6o.I guess everyone was right she is good.In the hour or so that I played her stack went down to about $400.00 before I left.There were 3 other players at the same table playing the same crap sucking out on the river.I left up $1200.00 because I got lucky because they didnt always catch runner runner on me.Here is a hand I was not in. She calls a preflop cap UTG with 4c2c. 2 other players are in. Flop Ax Kx Jc. She bets and it gets capped. Turn 6c capped and she is in. River 9c. The other 2 players had AK and QT. Iwas laughing and they started calling her names.
I am usually one of the other 2 players.This is my question.How high up in limits do you have to go before people stop playing like this lady?I keep losing large chunks of my bankroll to players like this lady when I have close to the nuts on the flop and they are in with hands that an average player would fold preflop.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:30 AM

Default Re: At What Limit Will I Not See This?

if you arent thrilled that this person is coming after you with J6, you should prob quit playing poker.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:49 AM

Yes, I would also like to know at what limit people stop playing like that so I can be sure to avoid that limit like the plague.

You get stung and it hurts but I'd sell a kidney to bankroll playing a person like that at whatever stakes they chose.

By the way, the answer to your question is: "How high is up?" Or, if you prefer, "How long is time?" There is no limit you can play where someone who sucks at poker can't afford to sit down once in a while.

SpaceAce
Old 05-23-2005, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if you arent thrilled that this person is coming after you with J6, you should prob quit playing poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he wants to play some real cards, could be more satisfiying than taking away $1200 in a day.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:17 AM

I play very good against better players. I make most of my money from better players (players that fold when they think they are beat) in small to medium pots. Ilose most of my money in big pots on the river to hands that most people wont play beyond the flop.I sat at that table with the lady for an hour and watched 4 fish win pot after pot after pot by catching runner runner or miracle river.They got most of the money at the table.

If I want to play with people that jam the pot 5 ways or more with garbage hand and hope to catch by the river I will play the PLAY MONEY tables. That will really improve my skill level.Then I can brag about a $3million bankroll and forget to mention it is play money.

The point is I want to play with thinking players so I can advance to different levels.In the example where she plays 4c2c and you hold QT what can anybody put her on.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I play very good against better players. I make most of my money from better players (players that fold when they think they are beat) in small to medium pots. Ilose most of my money in big pots on the river to hands that most people wont play beyond the flop.I sat at that table with the lady for an hour and watched 4 fish win pot after pot after pot by catching runner runner or miracle river.They got most of the money at the table.

If I want to play with people that jam the pot 5 ways or more with garbage hand and hope to catch by the river I will play the PLAY MONEY tables. That will really improve my skill level.Then I can brag about a $3million bankroll and forget to mention it is play money.

The point is I want to play with thinking players so I can advance to different levels.In the example where she plays 4c2c and you hold QT what can anybody put her on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm probably posting this in vain, but here goes: It is quite simple. If you want to advance you should first be able to beat bad players!
Old 05-23-2005, 10:30 AM

I'd swear you were trolling ... but you have 80 posts. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume you just don't know much about poker.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:31 AM

Play the 100/200 or 200/400 games, I hear that people play much better there, so it must be easy money, right?
Old 05-23-2005, 10:36 AM

I think the OP makes an interesting point and I can understand his frustration. Playing against total morons can be very, very profitable but it can also produce some huge swings. My regular game is a live 10-20 1/2 kill game that is populated by the worst players imaginable, and the same crew is there night after night. It's identical to a 2-4 "flop lotto" party except its far more aggressive. My wins are often big ones, but I know that I on a lot of nights I'm going to take it on the chin. I am known there as a tight player, but, for example, if I raise in early position I can count on at least three callers every time. I have lost 5 out of my last 6 sessions and I am the best player at the table 90% of the time.
I think S&M make a point in one of their essays (I can't recall which one)that it is often more profitable to take down small and medium-sized pots than it is to get involved in the type of games that the OP is referring to.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:49 AM

I dont know much about poker but my instinct tells me that my premium hands are going to be -EV when you have 4 or more people playing every hand to river for big pots. Another problem that I have online is that a lot of these bad players win a big pot or two and run. Kind of hard to beat them when they are not there.