Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2005, 04:50 PM

Default Called on a steal attempt, marginally hit the flop

Since I've started reading this forum more regularly I've been trying to add more aggression to my game and attempt to steal the blinds more. I've been getting in situations like this as a result fairly frequently.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (9 handed) converter

MP1 (t3085)
MP2 (t1260)
Hero (t2115)
CO (t1935)
Button (t250)
SB (t1845)
BB (t1625)
UTG (t4110)
UTG+1 (t1735)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t300</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls t250, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t700) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">

Hero??
Old 05-29-2005, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Called on a steal attempt, marginally hit the flop

Think about it, do you really believe this flop hit a hand that he'd call a raise with?

1/2 pot continuation bet. Fold to a raise. If he calls, check behind on the turn unimproved unless a potential scare card hits that you believe you can use to your advantage.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:13 PM

Bet about 2/3's of the pot, if re-raised fold, if SB calls and checks to you on the turn, check behind if you don't improve on the turn and take a free card. Fold to a river bet unless you improve on the river.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:19 PM

No, but a medium PP is a possibility. I'm not so much worried about him hitting the flop as I am learning whats the best amount to bet in this situation.

In the actual hand I bet out 800, a little bit more then the size of the pot and he mucked quick, but I thought that bet might have been risking too much for two little given probably a total bluff reraise would get me to drop the hand.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:37 PM

Yeah, I do believe that was risking a little too much. 1/2-2/3 pot works just as well. The most important thing is to make your continuation bet basically the same whether you hit or miss, that way observant opponents can't profile your bet.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:40 PM

I agree with the others. Bet 50-75% of the potsize, fold to a reraise. If he calls and checks to you again, I would probably bet another time. Remember that he can put you on AK/AQ, and therefore might call with a small pair. By betting another time you will probably get him to fold small to medium pair.

If he calls on turn, you have probably bought yourself a freecard on river so check the river (or fold if he bets, in which case you are seriously beat).