Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2005, 02:42 AM

Default AKo hand In Pstars 11+R! Would like some comments.

900+ entrants , down to about 90 with 81 paying.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t4000 (8 handed) converter

Button (t26477)
SB (t107565)
BB (t31221)
UTG (t60325)
UTG+1 (t90558)
MP1 (t14954)
MP2 (t54416)
Hero (t55159)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t8000</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t16000</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls t8000.

Flop: (t33200) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t12000</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t44125</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t89325

Was it a good laydown is what i am kinda asking? I put him on a mid to higher level pocket pair but i could not give him any credit to A9 with him being in EP. He seemed like a tight player as was he was very active when we were near the bubble. Oh well thanks.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:01 AM

Default Re: AKo hand In Pstars 11+R! Would like some comments.

There's the chance that he's on a complete bluff, but anything else has you beat here. You tried to take the pot down with a bet of less than half the pot, and perhaps he figured you for a scared steal. My guess is that he has some sort of mid-pair, tried to take the blinds, and it may or may not have made a set on the flop. Even if it didn't, he figures it's good on the non-threatening board.

Regardless, it's close to the bubble, you have about 27k left or about 8xBB which isn't great, but it's certainly enough to work with. I'm not usually an advocate of crawling along just to make the money, but you can probably find a better pot to put your chips in.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:32 AM

If you don't feel comfortable enough to fire off a decent size bet at the pot you should just check behind.

Your re-raise is too small preflop as well.

You look scared the whole time if he is a decent player he picked up on it and made a move. You have to have more conviction and aggression on the bubble.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:24 AM

I don't think you played this real well.

Preflop, either push or call and play poker. Your reraise was weak, you gave him decent odds to call regardless of what he raised with. I think this could have been a good spot to push in, although a minraise from UTG sends off warning bells.

Postflop, either check or push, again your raise was weak. I don't think you can call UTG's push as played
Old 06-07-2005, 09:59 AM

You can't fold, so the only question is - are you playing to win or sneak into the money. If your answer is win, then push pre-flop, if it's to money, then call pre-flop and go from there.

Of course, the way you played it, you have to fold to his all in.

Peace

Goodie
Old 06-07-2005, 10:54 AM

Well, here is how I would play a hand like that in this situation:
1. I would go all-in preflop, since I do NOT want to face bullying bets from the bigger stack after the flop.
2. If for some reason I didnt go all-in preflop, I would check the flop if I miss, and probably call him atleast one bet. If he continue to fire big after the turn, and the turn didnt help me, I would fold.

All-in after the flop is also an option, since he would have a vey hard time calling unless he has a big PP or a set, although all-in preflop is a much stronger move.

The worst you can do after flop is make a weak bet. When I see bet like that, I always try to steal by raising.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You can't fold, so the only question is - are you playing to win or sneak into the money. If your answer is win, then push pre-flop, if it's to money, then call pre-flop and go from there.

[/ QUOTE ]
bad answer.

which move is more $EV though?
Old 06-07-2005, 11:10 AM

I think the correct play here is truly read dependent.

If UTG is a tight player, then I agree with the previous poster to call, not raise, PF, check the flop, and fold unemproved on the turn.

If UTG could be raising with a wider variety of hands, then I would push PF.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:19 AM

Vomit, cough, squirt.

There is only one play here guys. You have 12-13bb stack and someone open raised to 2bb. A correct raise is roughly to 6bb or half your stack, so its time to just go all in with one of the best hands in poker. How you managed to put in 1/2 your chips and fold without seeing 5 cards shows that you need to work on your game a bit.

-Jason