Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2003, 03:52 AM

Default One table SNG--the Royal DRAW.

One table sit and go on Stars. First orbit. I have the third largest stack. Blinds at 10 and 20.

An EP and MP limp to me on the button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
I make it T140 to go.

Blinds fold, EP calls, MP folds.

Flop comes K-J-T, all[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Pot has T330. He checks and calls my bet of T320.

Turn is an offsuit Ace, giving me top two.
He checks and I don't know what to do so I check b/c I figure a free card can't hurt.

River is an offsuit 8.
He bets T500.
Pot is now ~T1500.

What is my play and why?
COmments appreciated.

Old 08-10-2003, 04:30 AM

Default Re: One table SNG--the Royal DRAW.

i have no idea why you would raise that much on AJo preflop. this is a terrible no-limit hand, especially if a raise of that size is called. i would much rather make this play with 72o, because then i won't be inclined to stay in the hand if i flop just enough to suck me in.

your correct play on the turn is debatable. if you do decide to bet, it is difficult to pick an amount that looks natural. also, the most likely hand he has to call your big flop bet is something with the Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], which would now give him a broadway straight. i think i would have taken a free card here, but i'm very unpredictable at the table.

on the river, your correct play depends a lot on how the opponent plays. i know plenty of players who will always bet small when they want a call, such as here, and make a larger bet when they're bluffing. others will try to maximize their bets whenever they have a big hand, and bet small to get better odds on any bluffs. without any prior knowledge, i would be inclined to fold (because i think he has the Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]), but your 3:1 pot odds make it a possible call.
Old 08-10-2003, 08:05 AM

Default seems a little suspicious, but...

there are several ways that he could be interpreting your betting sequence.

1) I have the flopped flush, was going to check-raise, now I'm going to get some money in there.

2) He (you) bluffed on the flop and doesn't have a hand, so I'm taking it here.

The problem with #2 is, why only put in T500? I don't think you mentioned stack size here, so can't read into that.
If your stack was a decent size (i know you said you were 3rd, but not sure what that relates to) and so was his, I think I'd call here. Also if his stack was smaller, though I'd have to think long and hard about #1.

Unless you had a strong read on his play or another reason to fold, I think I'd have to "waste" the T500 calling.

I'm assuming here a raise wouldn't accomplish anything that you'd want (paid off by weaker, fold stronger)
Old 08-10-2003, 04:04 PM

Default Re: One table SNG--the Royal DRAW.

I made a big raise preflop b/c it's likely I've got the best hand, plus I want to take the pot right there. I know this will be a tough hand to see a flop with. But I didn't want to fold or just limp.