Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2005, 11:35 AM

Default Re: gym-spotting

[ QUOTE ]
From my personal experience, I have found that lifting 3x a week will not gain any more than just one hard session a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you need to take better / more drugs.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are you saying you bench and squat 3x a week? If you are trying to gain strength, this is terrible. You are probably seeing gains, but nowhere close to optimal. You shouldn't be doing either excercise more than once per week.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are your sources on this? The book I mostly use, serious strength training by Tudor Bompa says a muscle should be excercised 2 times a week. The muscles grow better if they are constantly adapting and such. Also, most trainers at my university with 2-3 years of kin background and a really big interest in strength training agree with this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolute statements are stupid in this context. The answer is to train as much as possible without overtraining. That number is highly variable across not only individuals but also time periods for a single individual.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The answer is to train as much as possible without overtraining. That number is highly variable across not only individuals but also time periods for a single individual.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. This is what I should have said. Though in general, if you are anything less than an elite body builder, 2 times a week is pretty much optimal, 3 if you decrease the sets to a very low level.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The answer is to train as much as possible without overtraining. That number is highly variable across not only individuals but also time periods for a single individual.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. This is what I should have said. Though in general, if you are anything less than an elite body builder, 2 times a week is pretty much optimal, 3 if you decrease the sets to a very low level.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you agree with me and then immediately contradict yourself by declaring a number as pretty much optimal except for "elite bodybuilders"?
Old 10-17-2005, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you agree with me and then immediately contradict yourself by declaring a number as pretty much optimal except for "elite bodybuilders"?

[/ QUOTE ]

I shouldn't have quoted the whole thing. I only meant to agree with this part

[ QUOTE ]
The answer is to train as much as possible without overtraining

[/ QUOTE ]

Not this
[ QUOTE ]
That number is highly variable across not only individuals but also time periods for a single individual.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think there is much variation in recovery time between most people. People who are more experienced and whose bodies are more conditioned for strength training can do more intense workouts, but most people are going to be doing 2 workouts a week for optimum achievements.

Make more sense?
Old 10-17-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I shouldn't have quoted the whole thing. I only meant to agree with this part

[ QUOTE ]
The answer is to train as much as possible without overtraining

[/ QUOTE ]

Not this
[ QUOTE ]
That number is highly variable across not only individuals but also time periods for a single individual.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think there is much variation in recovery time between most people. People who are more experienced and whose bodies are more conditioned for strength training can do more intense workouts, but most people are going to be doing 2 workouts a week for optimum achievements.

Make more sense?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, your statement does. I do not agree with it but your logic is clear.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:30 PM

I was working out in North Seattle 10+ years ago and some dude asked a guy to spot him. He started to struggle and the spotter started helping him out, then the lifter starts freaking out and bitching the spotter out for doing it all wrong. The spotter said "Spot your f*****g self then!", let go of the bar and walked away. The weight went back down to his chest and he struggled for several minutes trying to get out from underneath the bar. Nobody in the place went to his rescue. That's what you get when you're a dick.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was working out in North Seattle 10+ years ago and some dude asked a guy to spot him. He started to struggle and the spotter started helping him out, then the lifter starts freaking out and bitching the spotter out for doing it all wrong. The spotter said "Spot your f*****g self then!", let go of the bar and walked away. The weight went back down to his chest and he struggled for several minutes trying to get out from underneath the bar. Nobody in the place went to his rescue. That's what you get when you're a dick.

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't like a good way to deal with a bad spotter. If it is someone who looks new to the gym and confused, then I just tell kindley tell them what a spot should be. If it is some guy who looks like he has been there a while and take offence I either tell him how I want MY spot, or get someone else. This is done after the spot.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, it seems like you've done your research, so I'm sorry if I came off like an ass in my last post. I usually abide by the stuff I read on WBB, which generally preaches lifting at maximum intensity about once a week. From my personal experience, I have found that lifting 3x a week will not gain any more than just one hard session a week. But as long as you're putting thought into your routine and not just thinking "if I lift more I will grow faster", I'm sure you're doing alright.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes I bench 3-times a week. Squat two times a week and deadlifts once a week.
But without any forced reps!
Alot of strenght people suggest 3 times a week bench training, Kyle for instance who has made this cycle.
But more known Russian Boris Sheiko uses 3-times a week benching in his programs.
Read ruggedmag or elitefts instead.

"more than just one hard session a week"
K, do you then have a dymanic effort day?

Anyway, if people read the bench cycle, they would see that i is like 3 days a week
week 1: 3x8x70%, 3x8x75%, 3x8x80%
week 2: 3x6x75%, 3x6x80%, 3x6x85% ...
Old 10-17-2005, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you saying you bench and squat 3x a week? If you are trying to gain strength, this is terrible. You are probably seeing gains, but nowhere close to optimal. You shouldn't be doing either excercise more than once per week.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do u think Brian Siders or Gene Kelly (think thats his name) has gotten so far by benching ones a week?