Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2005, 11:18 PM

Default Re: gym-spotting

[ QUOTE ]
I hate when I ask someone to spot me and they have no idea what they are doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I hate it when people ask me to spot, because I have not idea what I'm doing. I always refuse, too.

--Dave.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Deadlift doesnt screw anything [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It does when you haven't done it in a while and do too much weight to start off. Back has been screwed for 2 weeks and barely improving. Haven't been able to squat or anything. I can forget about golf too.

Gonna have to see a doc for it. Damn. I hate doctors (professionally... not as people in general [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]).
Old 10-16-2005, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
2-3 forced reps is not good for u, is that in every set for u? that u have 2-3 forced reps?
You will tear ur body appart more than u'll train that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. This is usually only for the last 1-2 sets.

[/ QUOTE ]Hows ur training for bench for instance? 5x5xyyypuonds or???

Do you get to set of forced in every exercise u make during a workout?

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually do the first 1-2 by myself, maybe have some help on the second. The 3rd probably only last rep, maybe 2, and the 4th 1-3 depending on how I am feeling. Whenever it is more than help with 1 extra rep it is because the first assisted rep was pretty much all me.
THis is just a reflection, it may be more or less. Need to start keeping a journal again.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Deadlift doesnt screw anything [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It does when you haven't done it in a while and do too much weight to start off. Back has been screwed for 2 weeks and barely improving. Haven't been able to squat or anything. I can forget about golf too.

Gonna have to see a doc for it. Damn. I hate doctors (professionally... not as people in general [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]).

[/ QUOTE ]
Either you did go too heavy on the first day or ur teqnique has flaws.
2 weeks is to much for it to just be muscle soreness, I think around 5 days is the max. And we are talking meeting deadlift grinded out for very long time...
Old 10-17-2005, 09:27 AM

[quote
I usually do the first 1-2 by myself, maybe have some help on the second. The 3rd probably only last rep, maybe 2, and the 4th 1-3 depending on how I am feeling. Whenever it is more than help with 1 extra rep it is because the first assisted rep was pretty much all me.
THis is just a reflection, it may be more or less. Need to start keeping a journal again.

[/ QUOTE ]
I still think that's to much.

And a training journal would be good, progression is 1 of the much important things in lifting weights.

For instance, my training atm:
Kyle's Russian Bench Routine

Monday Wed. Friday
Bench 70% 3x8 Bench 75% 3x8 Bench 80% 3x8
Incline 70% 3x8 Incline 75% 3x8 Incline 80% 3x8
Powerclean 70% 3x5 Bench and Incline 4x12 (50%) Powerclean 75% 3x5
**All days Squat x5-4-3
Monday Wed Friday
Bench 75% 4x6 Bench 80% 4x6 Bench 85% 4x6
Incline 75% 4x6 Incline 80% 4x6 Incline 85% 4x6
Powerclean 75% 3x5 Powerclean 80% 3x5 Powerlcean 80% 3x5
**All days Squat x5-4-3
Monday Wed. Friday
Bench 5(70%)4(75%)3(80%)2(85%)1(90%) Bench 5(75%)4(80%)3(85%)2(90%)1(95%) Bench5(80%)4(85%)3(90%)2(95%)1(100%)
Incline (same as bench) Incline (same as bench) Incline (same as bench)
Powerclean 5-4-3-2 Bench and Incline 4x6 (50%) Powerclean 5-4-3-2
**Monday/Friday Squat x5-4-3
Monday Wed. Friday
Bench 5(75%)4(80%)3(85%)2(90%)1(95%) Bench5(80%)4(85%)3(90%)2(95%)1(100%) Bench5(85%)4(90%)3(95%)2(100%)1-Max
Incline (Same ad Bench) Incline (Same as Bench) Incline (Same as Bench)
PowerClean 5-4-3-2-1 Powerclean 5-4-3-2-1 Powerclean 5-4-3-2-1
**Monday/Friday Squat x5-4-3

hmmmmm copy pasting no good I think.

I do squatting deferently from the above, but it is the bench cyclus which are important.

But that program will push u far, but not too far
Old 10-17-2005, 10:36 AM

Are you saying you bench and squat 3x a week? If you are trying to gain strength, this is terrible. You are probably seeing gains, but nowhere close to optimal. You shouldn't be doing either excercise more than once per week.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you saying you bench and squat 3x a week? If you are trying to gain strength, this is terrible. You are probably seeing gains, but nowhere close to optimal. You shouldn't be doing either excercise more than once per week.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are your sources on this? The book I mostly use, serious strength training by Tudor Bompa says a muscle should be excercised 2 times a week. The muscles grow better if they are constantly adapting and such. Also, most trainers at my university with 2-3 years of kin background and a really big interest in strength training agree with this.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's idiotic.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Stupid comment. There's no muscle-building (or even toning) routine that is optimal at once a week.

x3 is the optimal rate with a day's rest between, though for very heavy squatting, x2 is probably better, with at least 2 day's rest (3 days is better) between.

And in my experience, nothing build muscle-mass all over faster than heavy squatting.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:54 AM

Well, it seems like you've done your research, so I'm sorry if I came off like an ass in my last post. I usually abide by the stuff I read on WBB, which generally preaches lifting at maximum intensity about once a week. From my personal experience, I have found that lifting 3x a week will not gain any more than just one hard session a week. But as long as you're putting thought into your routine and not just thinking "if I lift more I will grow faster", I'm sure you're doing alright.