Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 06:22 PM

Default JJ Hand - Easy turn fold?

Well, after experiencing the worst week of poker in my short career with a 250BB downswing, I'm taking my friends advice and posting some hands that I was unsure of to make sure i'm not crazy. After about 100 hands villian is 35/12/.6 and hadn't gotten too outta line.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls.

Flop: (9.40 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (5.70 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 8.70 BB
Old 05-31-2005, 06:36 PM

Default Re: JJ Hand - Easy turn fold?

You're at risk getting run over by semi-bluff raises if you fold these situations too often. Nothing particularly wrong with this fold if you put him on AK, but be careful about calling these folds "easy". This is a read-dependent fold.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're at risk getting run over by semi-bluff raises if you fold these situations too often. Nothing particularly wrong with this fold if you put him on AK, but be careful about calling these folds "easy". This is a read-dependent fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

If we decide this is a semi-bluff raise and call the turn, we are commited to call a bet on the river, right?
Old 05-31-2005, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If we decide this is a semi-bluff raise and call the turn, we are commited to call a bet on the river, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I call the river unless a spade (other than the J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) or another overcard falls. If a non-jack spade or an ace falls on the river, it is a tough decision, but I think you can get away from the hand. The problem is that some people will play only strong hands like AA-QQ and AK like this, but a trickier player might play A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or even a hand like T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] this way. I think a lot of players reserve their bluff raises for the turn, since flop raises are basically ineffective.