Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2005, 09:10 PM

Default Tough hand, street by street (w/reads)

Villian in this hand is solid and predictable. He is a 23/10/2.1/34 over 1287 hands. He isn't quite as agressive preflop as you should be to maximize win rate. He check raises 4% of the time (playerview calculation not pokertracker) which is pretty solid. Plays good postflop. Makes good laydowns and thin value bets. On to the hand which had a ton of interesting decisions. I'm going to post street by street and post my thoughts after each step. Not every step is real tough but I want people who are new to shorthand or unsure of themselves to take a detailed look at a hand. Thanks in advance for your posts.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero ?????

Krishan
Old 04-27-2005, 09:18 PM

Default Re: Tough hand, street by street (w/reads)

...3 bets without thinking.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:19 PM

My play is to RR the button PF. That way if he folds (not likely) you win the pot outright. if he were to just call, you can probably rule out pairs around 8's or better. If he were to cap, you can then have more ideas to the types of hands that he could be holding. The key for me is the information of a call or raise. Not forgetting about the big blind which I can more easily read if he/she were to cold call two sb's.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...3 bets without thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect. Even a guy who raises tight (say 6%) will raise a ton of hands that you have really good equity against. You also would rather have the dead blind money than a 3rd player. Against nearly all opponents it's pretty much a no brainer. Keep in mind for the rest of the hand, this guy was a little passive preflop.

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero ???

I had never seen him cap in 140 hands.

Krishan
Old 04-27-2005, 09:26 PM

I really don't think you need the question marks here...

also, in 140 hands it wouldnt at all unlikely for him not to have had a premium hand and the opportunity to cap with it.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't think you need the question marks here...

also, in 140 hands it wouldnt at all unlikely for him not to have had a premium hand and the opportunity to cap with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your saying it's too easy. Assume for a moment that there were no image considerations and you were going to get up and leave after this hand. Put him on a range of hands for capping. How does this range compare with KQo. IF you give him AA-99, AJs, AQo, KQs (which I think is very generous) you have 30% equity out of position against a solid postflop player. I still call but I want people to think about how his cap narrows his hand range to the point where before the 3-bet you were a favorite and after you are probably at least a bit of a dog.

equity (%) win (%) / tie (%)

Hand 1: 69.3468 % [ 00.67 00.02 ] { AA-99, AKs-AJs, KQs, AKo-AQo }
Hand 2: 30.6532 % [ 00.29 00.02 ] { KQo }

On with the hand.

<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (9 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero ??

I'm looking for a line, not a simple bet or check. Check with the intention of what, at what point will you fold (if any).

Krishan
Old 04-27-2005, 09:38 PM

I don't play much shorthand, so take this with a grain of salt.

140 hands is too few to start playing scared. Hell, people who've played with me over the past couple days will tell you that I never even 3bet. So I think you keep him on the normal range of capping hands, rather than narrowing him down to just AA or KK or something.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:45 PM

I'm check calling the flop and turn for sure. I don't want to let him get away from 99-JJ and don't want to pay more to see a showdown vs AA, KK, AQ. I'm not very worried about potentially giving free cards because if I'm ahead he has at most 3 outs against me(unless he has spades which is pretty unlikely).

Once I get to the river, if its a scarecard that I think he will be afraid to raise even with an overpair, like say a spade or a board pairing card, then I'd bet. Otherwise I'd probably check call again.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:46 PM

I think i might check raise, and call down if he three bets. Or maybe cap the flop, bet the turn and fold if raised. I'm not sure... one of those
Old 04-27-2005, 09:48 PM

Most players won't fold 99-JJ anyways, they'll call down.