Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How many hours do you play a week
more (how many ?) 1 1.01%
51-60 4 4.04%
41-50 3 3.03%
31-40 16 16.16%
21-30 43 43.43%
11-20 27 27.27%
0-10 5 5.05%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-02-2005, 11:48 PM

Default How much of a raise will you call with SCs?

Asssume 100BB stacks and full ring game with no reads
Old 11-02-2005, 11:50 PM

Default Re: How much of a raise will you call with SCs?

You definitely need to be more specific...
Old 11-02-2005, 11:54 PM

Basically never without a read that a guy plays passively post flop.

Too many times I flop a 8 or 9 out draw and get pot sized betted into, and I don't know wtf to do, I end up chasing and not hitting.

SCs are very hard to play profitably, and you won't know if you are really playing them profitably for about 100k hands (I'm 100% serious). Any hands before that tells you nothing except that you got lucky a few times, or you didn't get lucky a few times. I also hate flopping top pair with 78s and not knowing where the hell I am.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You definitely need to be more specific...

[/ QUOTE ]

I know there are a lot of other factors, they are difficult to do in poll form though, specifically I will call more if I read the guy as a fish/bad aggro or there are a lot of people in the pot, but the situation arises when I just sit down also.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:06 AM

Well for me it's a function of my assumed implied odds and my position. Sry, I don't have time to expand on this now, but I think this would be a cooler thread if you removed the poll aspect. This way ppl would be forced to explain their reasoning. What can we learn from knowing that x% of players does such n such?
Old 11-03-2005, 12:11 AM

This is one of those situations that is highly dependant on the number of limpers in front and the overall aggressiveness of the table.

At the extreme ends of the spectrum, I would limp anywhere with middle SCs, if I could be very sure that the pot would stay unraised PF and that I would get at least 3 limpers. In a lot very loose/passive live games, it makes sense to play longshot trash because you'll almost always get odds to call and also get paid off when you hit. However, even at a very loose/passive table, I'm still not convinced that its worth playing low end connectors (54s, 43s, 32s) because even if you hit your hand, you'll still often have the lower flush or straight.

Alternatively, at a tight or aggressive table where there is almost certainly going to be a decent-sized continuation bet on the flop, I probably wouldn't play these at all, unless I had at least a 5 limpers in front of me.

As general rule with no reads, I'll limp with the better SCs (JTs, T9s, maybe 98s) from late position with a minimum of 2 limpers.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:24 AM

5/10 rule
Old 11-03-2005, 02:25 AM

for me, its completely dependant on the number of other callers (or the number of callers I think will call, if I'm in early position.)
Old 11-03-2005, 10:30 AM

Problem with SC is you flop draws, and when they don't complete you've lost additional chips.
5% is about the most I'm calling VS unknown players.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:35 AM

This poll sucks and the inability to view results without voting sucks even more. The question in itself is ridiculous. Where is the raise coming from? (UTG, CO, SB, MP?) How many other people called the raise? What's my position relative to the raiser and/or callers?

Anybody who could even answer either poll question without making 1000 assumptions is not thinking correctly about the game.