Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 08:56 PM

Default Re: Stars vs. Party

party has more people playing at all times.. STARS can be hard at times to find players.
in the long run stars will make you a better player overall
in the long run party will make you more money
Old 05-31-2005, 09:04 PM

What do you mean by "better" player, like I just dont understand this concept at all.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:14 PM

Better as in more rounded, capable of playing post flop and not being a push/fold sorta player. Whether right or wrong, this i believe is what they mean.

Phill
Old 05-31-2005, 09:16 PM

SNG's at Stars generally lasted around an hour

Party lasts usually half that

SOOOO, if you like money, go to the Party skins
Old 05-31-2005, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you mean by "better" player, like I just dont understand this concept at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

early in a stars game you would play the same way you would early in a MTT tourney and simillar to how you would play in a ring game. which will in the long run help your overall game a bit more than PARTY structure.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:06 PM

Making a lot of money on party means one thing- you are good at playing the party sng structure. I all you wanted to be was a good gambler, then this is the place to go.

Being able to beat players consistently with the 12 minute blinds at stars will translate into being a better poker player in the long run, with more applicable skills to other kinds of games.

Personally, I dont like playing at party, because despite the fact that I (and everyone else who has read Aleo's post) could beat the game easily, I dont enjoy playing that way. To beat party, you need to be a Pete Sampras type, whereas you can be succesful at stars playing a more colourful type of game which just doesnt work at party.

For me the bottom line is this:
Party is $ ++ EV, but soul - EV (i.e. boring)
Stars is $ + EV, and soul + EV

Seeing as I dont rely on poker for my income, my choice is pretty simple.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:09 PM

So here is what I am getting from this thread....

1. You can get more games in at Party. The ability to play more games means the chance to make more money. Sounds straight up and simple.

2. Deeper stacks and slower blinds are better for the more skilled players. It allows for more chances in a game to outplay the other people on the table.

3. You should have a higher variance at Party, but you can play more games to help and try and smooth this out.

4. By playing the longer tournies it will make you a better all around poker player.

5. Party is more of a crapshoot than say Stars. (Is this better or worse for skilled patient player?)

6. Playing in a higher number of more high variance games is more profitable than playing less games with a lower variance factor.

Agree/disagree? What else can I add to this list? Anything else I am missing?
Old 05-31-2005, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So here is what I am getting from this thread....

1. You can get more games in at Party. The ability to play more games means the chance to make more money. Sounds straight up and simple.

2. Deeper stacks and slower blinds are better for the more skilled players. It allows for more chances in a game to outplay the other people on the table.

3. You should have a higher variance at Party, but you can play more games to help and try and smooth this out.

4. By playing the longer tournies it will make you a better all around poker player.

5. Party is more of a crapshoot than say Stars. (Is this better or worse for skilled patient player?)

6. Playing in a higher number of more high variance games is more profitable than playing less games with a lower variance factor.

Agree/disagree? What else can I add to this list? Anything else I am missing?

[/ QUOTE ]

someone make a survey for best poker site already.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Party=better software

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea the lobby software of party is far superior.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:26 PM

Everything you say is pretty much right on. The general consensus here is that Party is + EV because the SnGs are much shorter. I play both: I do better at Party, but I like the Stars structure.

BTW I just started goofing around with the 6-Max SnGs at Stars (non-turbo), and so far it looks like everyone plays them like they ARE turbos, which gives you a lot of time to sit back and wait for a hand. I actually won one of these in 20 hands the other day. Of course it only pays two places and I'm not sure how +/- EV this is vs. the full table.