Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-16-2005, 05:36 PM

Default What\'s the optimal way for a MTT/STT player to build a bankroll?

I chose to post this in the MTT forum, because quite frankly, I know a lot more about bankroll management with regards to STT's than with MTT's.

I'm interested in trying to determine the best way for a player to build their bankroll who plays only MTT's and STT's. More specifically, what is the optimal plan to build a bankroll as quickly as possible, with a low risk of ruin. Assume the player's skill level is equal in both STT's and MTT's.

One bankroll building method is to play sng's exclusively. Start at the highest buy-in at which you are both a winning player and have at least 30 buy-ins. We'll call this level A. Continue to play at level A until you reach 30 buy-ins for the next highest buy-in, level B, and then move up. You'll then play at level B until you increase your roll to 30 buy-ins at the next level, C, at which point you'll move up again. If you're losing at level B and your roll falls to 30 buy-ins or less of level A, however, you'll move back down to level A until you build your roll back up to 30 buy-ins of level B.

You repeat this process until you hit the ceiling of your skill level. For example, lets say you are a winning player at level C, but every time you build your roll and move up to level D, you lose and have to drop back down to level C. After repeating this frustrating process 10+ times, it's probably a safe assumption that you have significant leaks which you need to fix to become a winning player at level D. At this point, you stay at level C until you fix your leaks, and then you can try and move up to level D again (with presumably a bigger roll than the 30 buyins to level D).

Or you can just stay at a level where you're a comfortable winner, instead of moving up once you acquire 30 buyins for the next level, and just grind it out there, constantly building your roll.

An alternate bankroll building method would be to play mtt's exclusively. Since there is so much variance in mtt's, however, you would obviously need a lot more buyins as compared to playing sng's only (I don't know how many.... 50? 100?). If you hit a big score early on, then your roll would grow instantaneously. This would be the biggest advantage to playing mtt's only. But you could play exceptionally well and have a 20+ non-cash streak, due to the major variance of MTT's. That's the big downside.

Another method would be to play STT's at a profitable buyin, build a bankroll well beyond the 30 buyins, and then use these winnings to play MTT's. You would then continue to try and build your roll playing MTT's. If your roll fell back down the 30 STT buyin, you would switch back to playing STT's until you rebuilt your roll to take more shots at the MTT's. Or you could regularly switch back and forth between playing STT's and MTT's, effectively funding your MTT entry fees with your STT profits.

In summary, I think that using the STT's only method would have the lowest risk of ruin (and would probably take the longest to build your bankroll), while the MTT's only method would be the fastest way to build your bankroll (but has the highest risk of ruin). So would some sort of hybrid method, similar to the one I described, be the optimal way to build your roll? This hybrid method would entail you essentially playing STT's to pay for your MTT entry fees? I would love to hear everyone's opinion on this, and any other bankroll building methods different from the ones I described.