Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2004, 01:24 AM

Default Flop raise with OESD (rephrased from before)

Let me preface this by saying that yes, I play relatively loose from the button. I probably don't make this call in the CO. My play is not going to change in this respect, so please don't tell me to muck it preflop. I'm getting 4-1 on this hand at this point, and my reads say I'm assured 6-1 as the blinds won't raise unless they have a monster.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
3 folds, MP1 calls, 1 fold, MP3 calls, CO calls, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks,

Flop: (6 SB) Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6 players)
SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="red">MP3 bets</font>, CO folds, <font color="red">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, MP1 folds, MP3 calls.

... rest of the hand is unimportant. The straight never came.

I wasn't paying enough attention to this hand, and right after I raised the flop I noticed it had been folded to me. MP1 has the Q - I know this. This raise is value only.

Given the fact that I'm probably only going to be called by hands that are beating me in this situation, is this a bad raise?
Old 09-01-2004, 01:28 AM

Default Re: Flop raise with OESD (rephrased from before)

no, this is a pretty standard raise IMO
many times this will buy you a free card on the turn if you miss, and if a couple people call your raise then it has some value...
Old 09-01-2004, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Given the fact that I'm probably only going to be called by hands that are beating me in this situation, is this a bad raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well of course they'd be beating you if they called, you don't have a hand yet! You're really not raising for value here as you'd have to get 2 more people cold-calling this uncoordinated flop for there to be any value. If you're raising for a free card on the turn, that's fine - just take it when it comes.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:00 AM

With 3 people in after you I'd generally call. You get more money in the pot that way, and you have more people in to pay you when you do hit.

I would need my chance of winning it right there to be fairly high to do something like this (which is never the case in the games I play).

I'd also fold preflop. Mason said he'd play this on the button after some weak limpers (maybe it was 9T), but I dunno if I can make money in this spot.