Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2004, 04:50 PM

Default Nut Flush Draw - too aggressive?

This is a pretty unremarkable hand, but the villain is a 2+2er, and I'm wondering if he saw something in my play to help his call here - I'm not going to identify him, but leave that up to him.

UB (1/2 Kill)
I'm the button, villain is SB.
Folds to LP (button - 1), who calls. I call (with K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]), SB completes, and BB checks.

Flop is A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Checks to me, and I bet. All but SB fold.

Turn is 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
SB checks, I bet, SB calls.

River is 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB checks, I bet, SB calls.

Results in white below:
<font color="white">
Hero shows 9d Kc.
Hero has 9d Kc 7c Ac 8d: ace high.
SB shows 8c 2h.
SB has 8c 2h 2c Ac 8d: two pair, eights and deuces.</font>

So, I have two questions... Given the board, do you think it was unrealistic to try to semi-bluff at this hand (my thinking is that the SB either has one low club or a low pair, or maybe both)?

And secondly... if you remember this hand, was there something in my play that suggested that I was bluffing, or were you simply calling on the strength of your pair and low flush draw?

-stumpy
Old 07-31-2004, 05:04 PM

Default Re: Nut Flush Draw - too aggressive?

i'd usually fold preflop. depending on how bad the limper was I would raise sometimes. probably never just call.

i gotta say with AK-high HU on that board on the end I would be tempted to check it down and hope SB was drawing to a lone club. but I dont think a bluff is bad play either.

I'm pretty sure the villain did not pick up a tell over the internet; iwouldnt be concerned about that. he called because he had a pair and a draw in a shorthanded pot. although why he called PF? i'm a little confused about that
Old 07-31-2004, 05:09 PM

Anyone that completes with 8-2os in the SB isn't going to fold when they flop a mid range flush draw and a pair. Just remember who they are, and the next time you have top pair, bet bet bet bet bet and bet. They will call.

Derek
Old 07-31-2004, 10:05 PM

Fold that pre flop next time. I think I would check behind on the river and hope he was drawing as well. If he called the flop and turn with a pair, hes calling the river as well.
Old 08-01-2004, 02:10 AM

The 2+2'er completed 82o? Huh?
Old 08-01-2004, 02:37 AM

As suggested, that's not the best play in the SB. I suppose a real player in a 1/2 game might end up playing overly loose unable to take things seriously?

Anyway, calling down a low flush draw with a lone 8 and bottom pair is enough to label him as a calling station unless he felt like you had nothing. I think I'd have checked down the river though in your situation. As always, checking the turn might have allowed you to save 2 BBs, since he was making the bigger mistake giving you a free card (unless you had some read that told you he was on a worse draw than you), with the added incentive that if your flush hit on the river he might have felt obligated to bet into your check anyway and give you back any lost bets.

If you didn't knock him out on the turn, then there aren't many worse hands you could put him on that he'd see another bet for on the river, if he missed (and only one real draw, which means you missed too). So if he called, you were probably done for anyway.