Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 11-29-2005, 03:44 PM

Default JV raised a great point...

In a thread below, JV made the following statement:

[ QUOTE ]
Responses like this will bury this forum pretty quickly. If you don't like the hand give a reason why. The point of this forum isn't to be elitist and that's all I'm seeing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree completely and am not surprised the slightest. Hey JV, you got any interesting hands to talk about? I sincerely hope that you do, and look forward to them.

Even very interesting hands, such as the one Fianchetto (sp) posted last week were widely panned as "boring" or "typical." I have had similar experiences when I've posted some recent hands. Of course, when Zee chimes in saying that they are indeed interesting situations, everyone posts how interesting the hand is. This is symptomatic of a flaw that several people have when playing poker, and is a growing issue on this forum. We've already lost one highly respected poster, and I hope that we don't lose more.

If one is going to hit it big in high stakes poker, it is important to realize that lots of things that are typical are far from it. These seemingly obvious situations are often not, and recognizing them and making the most of them are what the big winners are made of.

On this forum, if people aren't willing to take a chance and post some hands (which might be the case if they get flamed for being boring or typical all the time), how would these real special situations be recognized? If snide remarks keep people from even bothering to discuss hands that may be interesting, what's the use of a public forum? Even if the hand is boring, it's important to think about why it is. If a player at a high stakes game has any doubt, then we all should think about why the doubt exists in that player's mind. Maybe they're right, maybe not. If the poster is thinking this way (right or wrong), I'm sure that some of your opponents are. Can we take this thinking, recognize it, and exploit it? Further, we should think about things that we think are obvious - what are we missing?

That is the point of these forums, and I have benefitted a lot in the past from it. I don't benefit right now, but I hope that changes. Think about it another way: why aren't you beating the biggest games around?
Old 11-29-2005, 04:10 PM

Default Re: JV raised a great point...

[ QUOTE ]
We've already lost one highly respected poster, and I hope that we don't lose more.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've debated on coming back, but not quite ready to as of yet.

TSP
Old 11-29-2005, 04:18 PM

TSP,

Ni han.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:44 PM

Default Let me chime in

Dont we routinely see the same situations over and over again in poker? Sure, there are always different variables and we always see something we havent before, but for the most part the basic components remain the same.

I think that discussing hands until we've come full circle is important for us to learn as much as possible about a hand.

I agree that there are some hands that are ABC and routine, but if the OP feels that they are unique to him in some way then we all need to offer our advice regarding the hand because we might post a hand one day that someone else feels is routine but we dont.

What defines a high limit concept is up for debate. What defines a complex hand from a simple hand is also up for debate and is largely a matter of opinion.

This forum exists not to say " typical " or " standard" it exists for all of the good minds that post here to elaborate their thoughts so that all can benefit from such a tremendous amount of information regarding situations.

IMO, everything is routine in poker, and nothing is routine in poker.

So, yeah, I guess in THAT sense, I contradict myself, but only to express my opinion.

Tex
Old 11-29-2005, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Let me chime in

I'll agree. I don't think I've seen a routine hand yet in my whole life... in the sense that there was 1 and only 1 way to play it with 100% certainty.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:16 PM

Good post. I don't really post in this part of the forum, I just read here, but your remarks are applicable to many of the strategy forums.

I think the problem is mainly the result of so many multi-tabling online players. When you multi-table online, you're often forced to adopt "standard" lines to hands. Even if the situation differs slightly each time, a player may still just take the same line, because there's not a lot of time to think necessarily when you have 8-tables going.

As a result I think there are a lot of people who see hands posted on here, and just think "yeah, that's how I play that, it's standard", without applying other information and factors. Especially with live hands that are posted.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:46 PM

Agreed J.A. Sucker. This forum has the potential to be the best forum setup ever. It's all the best players, minus all the noise, let's not ruin it.

Also if everything in poker is so simple, how is it possible that eventhough I've made millions playing poker, I can't beat a freakin 30-60 for anywhere near what DERB does? Not only that, I can't even come close to understanding how he does it and/or emulating his play. There are plays that are simple, but they are few and far between.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:56 PM

The funny thing is, if Tommy Angelo had posted a hand where he just completed with QQ in the sb, no one would have dismissed it as bad play. They would have wanted an explanation for this unorthodox/genius play. And I am a big Tommy Angelo fan.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:57 PM

I said no one, but I forgot about Turning Stone Pro. He would have trashed it.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:05 PM

I don't think that's true. Tommy receives tons of grief on this forum. Besides I'm pretty convinced that my not raising was a very bad play, as opposed to just a slightly bad play.