Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-23-2005, 08:30 AM

Default Interesting PF situation

This situation hasn't come up too often for me, and I'd like to discuss a possible range of raising hands.

Think of a live 20/40 game where play is typically loose and bad, wavering between too aggressive and too passive depending on players.

The table is 8-handed. One of the 8 players posts in MP1, having just sat down and wanting in on the action right away, evidently. Another player is in the CO, also having just posted after changing tables. So half the table has posted blind money. The other 4 players are UTG, UTG+1, you in the hijack, and the button.

Reads: None on the new players/posters. Button is a tight player and decently aggressive when he has a hand. SB is fairly tight-passive. BB seems fairly loose and passive, but it's a small sample size and not a very reliable read.

UTG and UTG+1 fold. MP checks his option. Now it's to you. How wide is your raising range here? You need to risk $40 into a pot that already contains $70 of dead money, so I'm thinking it's a very wide range. Are there any hands you're limping here? If so, how do they differ from hands you'd limp normally in the hijack?

After some discussion, I'll tell you the hand I actually had in this situation and what the results were.

EDIT: I should also add what Hero's table image is here, for I believe it's pretty important. If you've been raising a lot PF and showing down some marginal hands, it's probably wise to scale back on what you're stealing with here. But let's say Hero's image is solid -- either due to being card dead or just playing tight, you haven't been mixed up in a lot of pots and you've shown down lots of premium hands. Then again, the new guys in MP and CO don't know you from Douche Bigalow.