Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em

Old 11-28-2005, 05:11 PM

Default Flop action?

20/40 Foxwoods.

It's about 4AM and the short game I was in just broke. I'm headed to the front to check out and there is open seats in a 6-handed game where there are 3 players falling asleep at the table as they look as they were drinking. I sit down.

This is my 2nd hand at the table and I just showded down a monster out of the BB where I held K2o, flopped K23r, bet got raised, 2-cold call, I 3-bet, all call, turn: 2 and I bet every street and get called down by 2 players. The player to my left raised the flop when he held Kh6h that he limped UTG, he paid off and showed. He is now the BB in this hand:

4 limpers to me in the SB w/8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], the BB raises, all call, 6 to the flop for 11.8 SBs:

K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I... <font color="white"> donked </font>
Old 11-28-2005, 05:19 PM

Default Re: Flop action?

Check-raise the flop. Cap if he three-bets.

Lead from there on. Kick the dealer while thinking "no spades."

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 11-28-2005, 05:23 PM

Sounds good by me...

I'm also three-betting the turn so long as it's not another spade. I might slow down too if the turn paired the board and I got raised, though I'd probably throw in a three-bet and call down a cap in that case against the majority of opponents.

If the turn is a non-spade and I three-bet and get capped, I'm bet-calling or check-calling the river depending on who my opponent is.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:23 PM

BB is the lag from the first hand, right? If so, my plan here is to lead and hope he raises to clear out someone holding the T or 9 of spades.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:20 PM

I like betting the flop. BB will raise a lot with the two broadway cards on the board and maybe some middlish spades will fold. You don't want to risk BB checking if he has something like AQ or TT cause getting it checked around sucks and having one of the LP guys bet first sucks (slightly less).
Old 11-28-2005, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like betting the flop. BB will raise a lot with the two broadway cards on the board and maybe some middlish spades will fold. You don't want to risk BB checking if he has something like AQ or TT cause getting it checked around sucks and having one of the LP guys bet first sucks (slightly less).

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. In a live, East Coast mid-limit game, I think it's much more likely that a monotone flop gets checked around than online or West Coast players realize.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Ditto. In a live, East Coast mid-limit game, I think it's much more likely that a monotone flop gets checked around than online or West Coast players realize.

[/ QUOTE ]

It may be more likely to get around in Foxwoods than at the Commerce - but with this many in there, at this specific game, with a raise from the BB, I don't see it getting checked around as, far more often than not, the BB is going to continuation bet ahoy when checked to, barring it being one of the very particular people who would shut down sans a spade / a big pair in their holding.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
that was a sentence and a half
Old 11-29-2005, 12:29 AM

Well, there are other reasons. One, by betting into the likely raise you make your hand look like anything but a flush, and you increase the chances that a semibluff with the Ace of trump or a 1-pair hand gives you tons of action. Two, someone mentioned the possibility of folding the 9/T of the suit, which is quite good. Three, betting will let you 3-bet with the best hand much more often than checkraising will let you 4-bet with the best hand. Four, betting is fun.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:33 AM

Agreed. There are lots of reasons to bet out. My answer is defaulting to what I'd do in the Joe Sixpack Foxwoods 20 game. There are times when I would certainly agree betting out is correct. Here, given the late night description, I think you're going for pure pot building and no-other-spade praying, hence the check-raise / 3-bet / cap.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 11-28-2005, 06:31 PM

Bet/threebet flop, keep putting in bets until the board or villains convince you to do otherwise