Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 07:29 AM

Default Whatīs most important in a NL-MTT? Preflop-system?

As you recieve a hand in a tournament you think about alot of things thats positive or negative for your EV. How stong hand do you need to raise? Well anyway, what do you think is most important, rate them.

-Actions from other players
-Position (How many is going to act after)
-Reads and handstrength (handstrength and comparance, gap-concept)
-Reads (Post-flop play, bettingpatterns, what moves will work, what read they have on you?))
-Blindsize (compared to stack and much value to steal)
-Table and involved players tightness tightness (easy/hard to steal blinds)

My own list would be like this:
1. Actions
2. Postion
3. Table and involved players tightness (easy/hard to steal blinds)
4. Blindsize
5. Reads and handstrength (handsstrength and comparance, gap-concept)
6. Reads (Post-flop play, bettingpatterns, what moves will work, what read they have on you?)

Opinions on my rating?

Well based on this rating we now can create a system.

Blinds (100/200) 350/800 players left, 80 places paid, 20$ Freezeout NL Texas Holdem

Button (t4375)
SB (t8160)
BB (t2270)
UTG (t6915)
UTG+1 (t13325)
MP1 (t2025)
MP2 (t4370)
MP3 (t17470)
You (t20835)

Preflop: You is CO with QQ.
4 folds, MP3 calls t200

Ok, so letīs use the system

1. Actions - 1 call
2. Position - Good position
3. Table and involved players tightness - Table is loose, player MP3 limps alot
4. Blindssize - Blindssize is still very small
5. Reads and handstrength - read is: MP3 raises his top hands and limps alot of average hands.
6. Reads - MP3 bettingpattern is easy to read, His read on you is prob tight/agg.

Maybe you could rate the situation with numbers according to this system, you have any suggestions?

For example, on the bubble, nr 3. the table tightness greatly increases and you can raise more often with +EV.
Another example is when you have no read for the othere players handstrength, thats very -EV.

Please help, and weīll make this system a great one.

/CarlLee
Old 11-07-2005, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Whatīs most important in a NL-MTT? Preflop-system?

With no disrespect intended, your post makes it rather clear that you do not have a grasp on the concept of EV and should probably focus on posting more hands and getting involved in strategy discussions rather than attempt to create a rating system in your first post here. In addition, this system already exists in a variety of forms and we can learn these concepts and theories from a wide variety of established players by reading their books and posts here on 2+2. Why should we attempt to reinvent the wheel?
Old 11-07-2005, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With no disrespect intended, your post makes it rather clear that you do not have a grasp on the concept of EV and should probably focus on posting more hands and getting involved in strategy discussions rather than attempt to create a rating system in your first post here. In addition, this system already exists in a variety of forms and we can learn these concepts and theories from a wide variety of established players by reading their books and posts here on 2+2. Why should we attempt to reinvent the wheel?

[/ QUOTE ]

My first post, thatīs true. What has that got to do with anything? I discuss alot in other forums, and have alot of experience.

Anyway, I would appreciate some critique on the idea instead of personal critique.

/CarlLee
Old 11-07-2005, 11:22 AM

Ok, completely discounting the fact this is your first post then....

These systems do not make for a better poker player. I am not a fan of systems at all. Starting hand charts are great for starting players, but you need to abandon them at some point and learn to play some poker. I realize you are speaking of something that encompasses much more, however a quality thinking player does not require a system to succeeed. His knowledge of EV, ICM and the ability to observe the other players he is seated with coupled with the ability to adapt to those situations is what makes a winning player.

If your idea were something new and groundbreaking that would be a different story, however these "systems" only help to create a group of "bots" that can't think on their own and adapt to different situations. You will encounter literally thousands of different situations at a poker table and no system can account for all of them - I suggest learning the theories and resons WHY you make certain moves rather than developing a system that says with the following variables being true "X" is your move.

As an analogy, I have a client who is a network administrator that is completely underqualified. She requires step by step instructions for everything she does and does not understand any of the theories behind why she does these things. She always asks for me to create these step by step directions, even when she has a manual for the product in question and because she is paying for my services I always oblige her. She will never learn to administer her network on her own. Using these types of tools to begin your learning experience is fine, but at some point you need to abandon these instructions and learn to think for yourself.

Time spent building a solid understanding of game theory and strategy will yield a much better return than time spent developing a system like this.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Actions - 1 call
2. Position - Good position
3. Table and involved players tightness - Table is loose, player MP3 limps alot
4. Blindssize - Blindssize is still very small
5. Reads and handstrength - read is: MP3 raises his top hands and limps alot of average hands.
6. Reads - MP3 bettingpattern is easy to read, His read on you is prob tight/agg.

Maybe you could rate the situation with numbers according to this system, you have any suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]
A good player considers all these things without a rating system. Let's say you come up with a number according to your system. Say this situation rates an 8. Whatever. What does that tell you? Raise? The number tells you almost nothing about the situation. A rating system just makes it much more complicated. IMO, you're just better off learning the game instead of sticking to some system that you'll probably end up using in an inappropriate situation.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:32 AM

And for no further misunderstanding about EV.
Every point 1-6 isnt directly about EV. For example "actions from other players". Itīs the system in a whole that shall estimate how good the situation is.

Mainly EV is about position, handstrength and how good players are on your table.

I know every good player thinking about these points when they are making a decision, but what iīm talking about, is to put it to some formula that give us a number to rate how good the situation is.

Sometime the situation is good based on how tight the players are in the blinds, on the bubble for example. Some other time you get a good number because of position and handstrength.

Maybe you have to think about the situation in a cognitive way, itīs just to complex for a formula. Thatīs what i want your opinions about? Do you think itīs possible to do a system that works?

The X factor that will separate whoīs better in usin this system is the ability to read the other players.

/CarlLee
Old 11-07-2005, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sometime the situation is good based on how tight the players are in the blinds, on the bubble for example. Some other time you get a good number because of position and handstrength.

[/ QUOTE ]
Tight players in the blinds....good position and handstrength. These situations call for VERY different plays. This is what I mean about using the system incorrectly. If a situation got a good rating, how do you know if it's because of tight players in the blinds or good postion and hand strength? It's impossible to determine the correct play based on your number system.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:52 AM

The point is that you already consider these things when playing. You should always be attempting to put your opponents on a range of hands based on how they are playing. You should always consider your position and know that your hand has relative value. These are nothing new and, in fact, something that every player should already think about when making decisions in a game. You can't place a value on a lot of these, however if you refer to HOH and Dan's explanation of calculating your EV you always assign a percentage value to your villain holding certain hands and base your decision over how likely you think it is that villain holds "X" holdings versys "Y" holdings and always throwing in the percentage of times you think villain will bluff.

Creating a system like what you are describing is not a worthwhile effort is what I'm saying. Someone could probably spend a lot of time developing this system but it wouldn't show enough of a positive return to make the time spent worthwhile. Beyond that I don't think the players that frequent this forum, myself included, are fans of the idea that a system could be created to sum up everything we've spent years (cumulatively) learning. Like I said previously, learn WHY you make certain decisions rather than what the right decision is based on certain variables as there are times where the variables may be right but other things can change the way you would play it.

I doubt you'll get very many positive responses to the idea of a system as most of the posters here prefer others to become thinking players as opposed to robots.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Tight players in the blinds....good position and handstrength. These situations call for VERY different plays. This is what I mean about using the system incorrectly. If a situation got a good rating, how do you know if it's because of tight players in the blinds or good postion and hand strength? It's impossible to determine the correct play based on your number system.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, i agree. Itīs very much about the situation. And a one number rating is of course impossible to get.

But then, when you are reasoning about a situation, you make some "rating" about all these points, and then you make a decision based on how good all these points are.

What i am aiming for, is to break down the "decision-process" into small pieces. And then try to estimate of how much importance every point is. And as you see i havenīt thought it true very deep yet, but with some brainstorming here we might end up with something valueful.

I want to see the whole decision-process as a blueprint or puzzle. And maybe numbers isnīt the way to this.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:57 AM

Have you read any books on this subject? Dan Harrington already created a system similar to what you are speaking of, although not as in-depth. Most posters here have read Harrington on Hold'em vols 1 and 2 already and know these concepts. If you haven't read either of his books (or the other recommended reading in the stickied anthology post) I strongly suggest you buy them ASAP. From reading your posts thusfar it doesn't appear that you have read any of them.