Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 10:34 PM

Default Re: Worst TV plays ever

[ QUOTE ]
Mau's play of KK just now on TV was pretty bad. I think he gave his opponent a very cheap price to see the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

The other guy wasn't folding what he should reasonably think is a 13-out hand.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No, he just gets aggressive a little early for my taste. Nothing wrong with pushing to steal the blinds.

What I was really saying was that D'Agostino's call was bad. I could see it against a short-stack, but I don't understand it against someone who has one less chip than you.

[/ QUOTE ]hmm you fold TT to a blatant steal? because im sure hoyt was trying to rape his blinds all day
Old 08-17-2005, 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Holy [censored]. I just saw that guy fold the set. Holy [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems he convinced himself that Pham had slowplayed a set of Aces or Jacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have got to get myself some of whatever it is he smoked that got him to that world. I'd really like to know what card he would have rather seen on the turn than that 10.

Ivey's reaction was great..."no way, you didn't have the set." Pham's "what great call I make" was the dumbest thing I've ever heard on TV. Hated the way he played those Qs postflop...
Old 08-17-2005, 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Any answer other than "Tommy Reed check-folds set of tens" is wrong. This was hands-down the worst televised play in poker history and its hard to imagine a worse play ever being intentionally made.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. This play was so goddamn bad that after I saw it on ESPN, I went over to my computer and came to the WPT forum, where I never post (none of you probably recognize my screen name despite over 3,000 posts), just to see what people were saying about Tommy Reed check-folding a set of tens. Even worse, it's not like the bet was even big. I'm astounded.

What might even be worse than that fold is Reed then telling everyone else at the table what a donkey he is. Way to surrender the only weapon you had left, buddy. Without skill, all you have is hidden information. Now that's gone.

I'm not very good at poker, but I'm not that bad. It makes me wonder if I could ever choke that badly under the lights and cameras and pressure.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:15 AM

That's true. I was just going through what could possibly be in Forrest's mind before he made his river check.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That's true. I was just going through what could possibly be in Forrest's mind before he made his river check.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only card that beats him: 6
Only card that pays him off: A

It's no-limit and he didn't know what to do if DN raised (either with a 6 or as a bluff).

If you don't think you can call the raise, it's often better to check. Particuarly when there are very few hands that pay off a bet.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No, he just gets aggressive a little early for my taste. Nothing wrong with pushing to steal the blinds.

What I was really saying was that D'Agostino's call was bad. I could see it against a short-stack, but I don't understand it against someone who has one less chip than you.

[/ QUOTE ]hmm you fold TT to a blatant steal? because im sure hoyt was trying to rape his blinds all day

[/ QUOTE ]

I was reading a live account of the game, and apparently Hoyt was in fact doing that [censored] all night. Even more of a reason to call, as i'm sure everybody was just waiting until they had SOME kind of hand to stop his ass.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Only card that beats him: 6
Only card that pays him off: A

It's no-limit and he didn't know what to do if DN raised (either with a 6 or as a bluff).

If you don't think you can call the raise, it's often better to check. Particuarly when there are very few hands that pay off a bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I debunked the "Forrest check was fine" theory here, here, and here.

When the hands are turned up, DN even says to TF, "what are you doing?" to which TF says "Playing terribly"

This hand is even worse than not betting top full house for fear of quads would be, which actually, CAN be possible, but highly improbable. If he had AAA66 with 2 6's on board, i guarantee he is SHOVELING chips into the pot, even though quads are much MORE likely in that scenario.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:30 AM

Tommy Reed probably wanted to move up the money chain and also try to appear that he was making a tremendous laydown to the ESPN cameras. In both regards he failed.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:48 AM

He calls the flop bet with third pair, and then folds after he hits his set. Interesting.

Edit: I almost forgot by far the worst hand of all time ever played. Michael Kinney made the worst move ever. Reraising a guy bluffing into him after he hit quads in position against the bluffer. And his face when he hits the jack is hillarious, it is so obvious. Michael raised to $60,000 with AJ and Harry called the extra $40,000 in the big blind with 86 of hearts. The flop was JJ2 and both players checked. The turn was another jack giving Michael four of a kind. Harry bet $200,000. Michael moved all-in and Harry folded. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! If you have seen this hand it is the worst played hand of all time, and the idiot shows the crowd how stupid he is by showing his cards. So dumb.