Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2005, 02:37 PM

Default Funny chat (some poker content)

So I'm clearing a acct specific reload at Party and there are some pretty friendly guys in there chatting away, and I could not help myself [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. There is relevant poker content: I think this in an example of where a cold call preflop is okay for some of you n00bs. Loose passive guys is MP2.

BB is 20/10/3 -- he might be one of you guys. If it is, and you recognize me (everyone know my Party sn anyhow) STOP OPEN LIMPING PREFLOP IN LP. Seriously!

Of course since I'm posting this hand it's fair game for content analysis. I think I played it okay though.

<font color="blue">
Loose passive guy: i play trash if you have not figured it out yet
Loose passive guy: good hands never win here
Gregatron: rigged
Gregatron: party is so totally rigged
Loose passive guy: all about the big pot
Loose passive guy: big rake</font>

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em
- - - HAND 2373277816 - - -
PreFlop: <font color="blue">Gregatron</font> is Button with <font color="green">T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]</font> <font color="green">J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]</font> (10 Players)
2 <font color="darkred">folds</font>, UTG+2 <font color="darkgreen">raises</font>, MP2 calls, 1 <font color="darkred">fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="blue">Gregatron</font> calls, 1 <font color="darkred">fold</font>, BB calls,

Flop: (10.50 SB) <font color="black">4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]</font> <font color="green">3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]</font> <font color="green">Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]</font> (5 Players)
BB checks, UTG+2 <font color="green">bets</font>, MP2 <font color="darkgreen">raises</font>, CO <font color="darkgreen">raises</font>, <font color="blue">Gregatron</font> <font color="darkgreen">raises</font>, BB <font color="darkred">folds</font>, UTG+2 <font color="darkred">folds</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls,

Turn: (11.75 BB) <font color="blue">J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]</font> (3 Players)
MP2 checks, CO <font color="green">bets</font>, <font color="blue">Gregatron</font> calls, MP2 calls,

River: (14.75 BB) <font color="green">6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]</font> (3 Players)
MP2 checks, CO <font color="green">bets</font>, <font color="blue">Gregatron</font> <font color="darkgreen">raises</font>, MP2 calls,
<font color="blue">Loose passive guy: i am in trouble</font>
CO calls.

Final Pot: 14.75 BB

Results below:
<font color="blue">Gregatron</font> has Tc Jc (a flush queen high).
MP2 shows me 5c 7c [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Oh, and CO played his Kings like a douche -- I was not calling 3 preflop with JTs!
Outcome: <font color="blue">Gregatron</font> wins 14.75 BB.

<font color="blue">Loose passive guy: nh
Loose passive guy: i would have rather had a red 6
Gregatron: ty
Loose passive guy: that sucked
Gregatron: see party is rigged -- flush over flush
Gregatron: that NEVER happens for real
</font>

Hehe
Old 07-16-2005, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Funny chat (some poker content)

I like it a lot, especially the CC preflop. The only thing I'm not sure about is the cap on the flop. In the heat of the moment I might do the same, but I think its better for you to just call and let the original raiser stick around for 2 bets instead of 3, who knows he might cap it himself. NH though
Old 07-16-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is relevant poker content: I think this in an example of where a cold call preflop is okay for some of you n00bs. Loose passive guys is MP2.

[/ QUOTE ]

With only three players in ahead of you, it's close. I would muck it unless I knew that lots of players were chasing to the river with weak draws. Axs is a much better cold-call because you might win with a pair of aces. I doubt you're going to win with a pair of jacks.
Old 07-16-2005, 03:32 PM

"Gregatron: see party is rigged -- flush over flush
Gregatron: that NEVER happens for real"

LOL. Every bad player thinks there site is rigged, and say shit like "thats a PokerStars beat", yet they don't switch sites.

Funny.
Old 07-16-2005, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Axs is a much better cold-call because you might win with a pair of aces

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally disagree with you, JTs plays waaaay better in a multiway hand then Axs. Youre setting yourself up for a shitty situation the majority of the time CCing w/ Axs, especially when the flop brings an A and no redraws.
Old 07-16-2005, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"thats a PokerStars beat"

[/ QUOTE ]

RIVERSTARS.
Old 07-16-2005, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Axs is a much better cold-call because you might win with a pair of aces

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally disagree with you, JTs plays waaaay better in a multiway hand then Axs. Youre setting yourself up for a shitty situation the majority of the time CCing w/ Axs, especially when the flop brings an A and no redraws.

[/ QUOTE ]

- You've got position so you get loads of information to help you decide how to play your top pair.
- Nobody says you have to call down if the action gets hot.
- Nobody says you're going to have to raise.
- You will often have at least a backdoor draw to add value to your hand.
- You will flop a flush draw as often as JTs will flop a flush draw (only Axs is a better draw)
- Your best pair with Axs (pairing an ace) beats more preflop raising hands than your best pair with JTs (pairing the jack).
- Most players have a tough time folding KK-JJ, so they're going to pay you off (and sometimes keep betting into you) even if the ace falls.

JTs may be easier to play, but Axs is going to be more profitable.
Old 07-16-2005, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is relevant poker content: I think this in an example of where a cold call preflop is okay for some of you n00bs. Loose passive guys is MP2.

[/ QUOTE ]

With only three players in ahead of you, it's close. I would muck it unless I knew that lots of players were chasing to the river with weak draws. Axs is a much better cold-call because you might win with a pair of aces. I doubt you're going to win with a pair of jacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that I normally want one more cold-call before I come in, but it's so marginal that the argument is meaningless.

I would actually prefer to have JTs than A3s in this hand, though. I'd rather have the straight possibilities to go along with my flush ones in a multi-way pot than rely on a possibly reverse-dominated ace.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:03 PM

Youre right, JTs is much easier to play because you wont fall in love with your hand as easily as you would with Axs. I was kinda implying that you'd end up calling down with your potentially dominated hand. Thats not fair on my part, but many beginning players constantly make that costly error. It just seems like flopping an A while holding an Axs hand is a win the minimum, lose the maximum kinda hand.

With that being said, whats your plan of attack if the flop is A Q 5 rainbow w/ none of your suit. Original raiser leads and one of the CC'rs calls?
Old 07-16-2005, 04:10 PM

hey Aaron,

I am surprised to see you say that. I thought this was a textbook example of an acceptable cold call. Maybe I'm wrong though, and I am going through the LAG phase of my Zee evolution.

We are all aware that JTs is perhaps the most overrated hand in hold em, but it is still a good hand. It's has some high card strength, is s00ted, and any straight it makes will be the nut straight. Of course I would RATHER have Axs where x &gt; 7.

Just for the sake of discussion, what is the strongest hand you would not call here? I will respond in kind.