Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-15-2005, 02:55 PM

Default playing against the \"I\'ve got aces\" reraise with a medium/small pair

I swear, 90% of the time someone puts in the "just a little more" reraise early in the tourney, he's got aces or kings. It's easy to read as a big pair. I don't know when this play became the standard, but everyone seems to do it now.

For example, say I've got 88 in middle position. I've noticed that if I raise 3x the big blind (60) in a 10/20 round and get a caller followed by a reraise of say 200, that's a huge red flag that he's usually got a big pair. Elementary poker, right?

My question is this: With 1500 starting chips, assuming we both have around this amount, is it correct to always call the 140 with implied odds that I will stack him if I hit my set even though I know I am way behind? I think it is. My experience has been that if I hit the set, I will stack an overpair almost every time. Yes, there are (extremely) rare instances where I run up against set over set, but it's rare enough to ignore. What do you guys think?