Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 03:27 AM

Default A Vindication of the Rights of Men

What is happening to men in society today?

We are all letting ourselves be pushed around by women. Look around you, every guy on popular tv is being seen as mewling, pathetic, and backwards... or gay.

Look at commercials and ads: If a male isnt stupid, incompetant, rude, and/or portrayed negatively in some way, he's gay.

I don't understand it. Im all for equality, I will be happy to work at home with the kids while momma does her thing at the office, but this is pathetic.

It's about time that we stood up to it. I'm not sure what I'm suggesting, but we really need to do something.

It's so pathetic, every woman is taught to be strong, independant (which is great... but leads to), and totally awful to their significant other... training, talking crap about them.

Why is it okay for us to stand their jokes about training and stuff, just take it and smile right back, allowing them to say it more? I refuse to be treated that way, and I think more men should. And no, before you say it, Im not single, I have gotten laid in the past month, and what's more, my girlfriend agrees with me.

And she's hot.... who woulda thunk that one.

What do yall think? Please tell me Im not the only one who sees it?

Case in point, watch one episode of Everybody Loves Raymond (except all the women on the show who take turns pissing on the men while they make fools of themselves).

I leave you with this poignant quote from Fight Club:

"We're a generation of men raised by women. The last thing we need is another woman."
Old 10-20-2005, 03:36 AM

Default Re: A Vindication of the Rights of Men

What are the jokes that women make about training? I don't get what you meant by that.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:50 AM

is this science, math, or philosophy?
Old 10-20-2005, 08:58 AM

Good observations. In a sense feminism is getting punished already as high-power independent-minded women are terribly frustrated with the lack of satisfactory male companionship they get. Most are single and tell themselves that men are "afraid" to court them because maybe they will feel weak and inferior.

Yeah, right, like the reason I'm not planning to swim across the English Channel tomorrow is because I'm "afraid"!? LOL. These women need to understand that men are pragmatic. To exert a great amount of effort requires a POINT. Why on earth would anyone get into ego battles just for some pussy when there are younger and cuter ones available who will serve you food, do your dishes and give you good sex, all with a smile?? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2005, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I refuse to be treated that way, and I think more men should. And no, before you say it, Im not single, I have gotten laid in the past month, and what's more, my girlfriend agrees with me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I’d explain how it works, but you’d never believe me. Just let me ask this: does your girlfriend also give you the line that she is not interested in getting married? If so, and you buy that one too, then…

Anyway, back to your original question. I think this whole thing you ask about started with the success of the show “Roseanne”. Mundane humor based on demeaning the men while glorifying sloth (and the like). It works so well for that show that our standards have been lowered instead of raised.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is this science, math, or philosophy?

[/ QUOTE ]

The title and thread are phrased to be in counterpoint to the philosophic feminist work "A Vindication of the Rights of Women".

[ QUOTE ]
What are the jokes that women make about training? I don't get what you meant by that.

[/ QUOTE ]

When women make snide comments about training men. They always say it like they're talking abuot training some wayward puppy, who's only cute and lovable because he's stupid. And we sit there, grin, and take it like it's some kind of funny funny joke.

[ QUOTE ]
I’d explain how it works, but you’d never believe me. Just let me ask this: does your girlfriend also give you the line that she is not interested in getting married? If so, and you buy that one too, then…

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, no. I am interested in marriage, later in life, when I am financially secure. I know what you're trying to say, but I can assure you, you're off track. I have a genuinely equal relationship. It's not perfect by any stretch (of course, who doesnt want a fight... then you get o make up [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])

But no, we respect eachoterh and it works well. The great part is that Im moving to Austin this spring, so someone else gets her.. blah

It just seems to me that in our society, no one wants to have a relationship between two intellectual equals, someone needs to be on top (no pun intended). I dont know if it's a control issue, but we've let this go on for too long.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:28 PM

Moth,

Yeah, I was being facetious (well maybe only a bit serious). Marriage is great (it can be I should say.) Any two people living together - whether 2 friends sharing expenses, etc. - there are those times that try one's patience.

Best of luck to you in your relationship.

RJT
Old 10-20-2005, 09:40 PM

bump for the night crowd.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:26 AM

I guess the only problem is that I don't agree with the premise that this is the prevailing attitude of TV today (and I do watch way too much TV). If you look at the full list of sitcoms right now you'll find plenty of competent male characters. Of course, most sitcoms aren't funny, and Everybody Loves Raymond is pretty popular so I think that makes it easy to suspect all men on TV are like him. Also, the "Husband who seriously couldn't survive without his wife" character isn't exactly new, see Ralph Kramden and Archie Bunker.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:52 AM

"Im all for equality, I will be happy to work at home with the kids while momma does her thing at the office"

They already sucked you in.

And a good reason to stop watching television.