Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 08:18 AM

Default 10 10 in the BB, how is my line?

Game is Prima NL$10 10 handed.

Been playing for a few hours at the table and think I have pretty good image, only shown down good hands that I have played aggresively. Villian in this hand (button) is loose and quite fishy having done things like minraising A5o in MP then calling 2 all ins, somehow beating KK and QQ. He makes some strange raises, min raising J5s in EP also, and basically plays a lot of hands.

Stack sizes: I am on about $13, Button is on about $8

Preflop: Hero is dealt 10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the BB.
Folded to Button who minraises 0.20, SB folds, Hero raises 0.80, Button calls.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero bets 1.40, Button calls.

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero checks, Button bets 1.50, Hero calls.

River: 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero bets 2.40...

How did I play it so far, and what would others have done differently? If I get raised on the river I dont see that I can call it, anyone disagree?
Old 12-06-2005, 09:12 AM

Default Re: 10 10 in the BB, how is my line?

Good until the turn, either bet the turn or check then fold to his bet. You're probably beat here when he bets the turn, he clearly isn't drawing with that board. You have but two outs, so why call?
The river bet is not good, villian has shown strength and the last card doesn't change anything.
The best you can hope for he's overplaying a small pair. Most likely he has a 3 or a 9.
If you're rasied on the river it's an easy fold.

One of the things it took me a long, long while to
understand is that even bad players can get good cards.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:37 AM

I'm not sure, the guy likes to play random sooted hands and minraises weaker pocket pairs and offsuit Ax. Also it could quite possibly be a weak kind of blind steal. The guy doesnt seem like he is completely stupid, just too loose and kinda weak.

As far as the river goes, once i was there after questional play on the turn, it was a fairly non threatening river especially given that he could well be on a flush draw or j ust have beeen betting on the turn to scare off overcards. I felt that betting a bit less than half his remaining chips was a kind of blocker bet and I could fold to a reraise or push.

Am I way off? Overthinking?
Old 12-06-2005, 09:46 AM

Villans turn bet is pretty weak but I like betting here to see where you stand, I wouldn't be surprised if he is betting an ace.

not sure about the river i might check agian and call if the odds are decent, he would probally check any ace and bet weak with a small pair, big value type bet if he has a full house like suckers usually do.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:50 AM

If you are going to make the call anyway, you might as well bet. One of the keys to good NL play is to put your opponent in a position where his stack seems at risk while not risking all of yours. A bet somewhere between 2/3 and 3/4 of the pot size should put your opponent on notice that all his chips are at risk. If he raises you can comfortably fold. If he calls, you have the option of betting or checking the river depending on what your opponent has. I think your hand is probably good here, but I would exercise a great deal of care by controlling the bet size instead of handing that control to my opponent.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:29 PM

You think make that 2/3 or 3/4 pot bet on the turn? That definitely makes sense and that idea of taking more control is something I need to work on and learn more about. I guess especially against a stronger player checking there lets them take control, the only case I can make for checking here is that it is against a weak player who more than likely bets depending on how strong he is, and his bet felt weak to me.

Would be good to hear other opinions on this hand, or is it not really that interesting?
Old 12-08-2005, 03:35 AM

Final bumpage, would be good to hear more opinions but i guess its just not that much of an interesting hand.

I actually won this, the villian called my river bet and didnt show, so who knows what he was doing. That is why i posted this hand, because although I won i dont think I played it as well as I should have.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:42 AM

You shoulda bet turn instead of calling on turn... the bet on the river is even more odd, what were you trying to do? Almost everything on teh board beats u...but if he calls ur bet on the flop and turn u can be sure that ur beat... but then again i dont know how people will respond when ur only betting pennies
Old 12-08-2005, 03:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but then again i dont know how people will respond when ur only betting pennies

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah yeah thanks for that contribution, this is the small stakes forum so what is the problem? Id rather learn this stuff at the $10 tables before I move up.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:07 AM

yea np with that, im jus sayin that a lot of people play really weird when its small stakes so u can't be sure of nething.