Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 12:49 PM

Default 1010 in a tough river spot

Every player in this hand is pretty bad. The first two limpers are horrendous, and the button is a tight-ish preflop player (25%) but majorly overaggressive postflop. The reason I just called preflop was to be able to CR the field on a low card board, as the button would always bet if checked to him.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, 1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, 2 folds[/i]</font>, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 players)</font>

Hero checks, BB checks, UTG+2 checks, MP2 checks, Button bets</font>,Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG+2 folds, MP2 calls, Button calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 players)</font>
Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, Button folds.

River: (7.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 players)</font>
Hero bets</font>, MP2 raises</font>, Hero ...
Old 11-05-2005, 12:53 PM

Default Re: 1010 in a tough river spot

You gotta raise preflop and I would say check call the river.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really agree with the PF raise but it's not what I want to talk about this hand either.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really agree with the PF raise but it's not what I want to talk about this hand either.

[/ QUOTE ]
we are going to talk about it... not raising in te described situation is horrible.. you are just giving away that free money.

i would fold to the river raise... i guess he has the nuts, what else would play this way?
Old 11-05-2005, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
we are going to talk about it... not raising in te described situation is horrible.. you are just giving away that free money.

i would fold to the river raise... i guess he has the nuts, what else would play this way?

[/ QUOTE ]

again, I disagree. all a raise PF does a build a pot for chasing overcards. it's not giving away money because the extra money that goes in preflop that exploits your equity edge is lost (and then some) to the entire pots lost to chasing overcards in a big field of fish. I am 100% comfortable with the PF decision here. it's not the aspect of the hand I am seeking advice on.

as for the river, I don't have to be right very often here. isn't it a clear call based on pot odds alone?
Old 11-05-2005, 01:22 PM

I think you need to fold this river. Sounds like to me he either waited to bump his flush or he hit two pair. This is not something you can beat the majority of the time IMO.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you need to fold this river. Sounds like to me he either waited to bump his flush or he hit two pair. This is not something you can beat the majority of the time IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I certainly don't need to beat him a majority of the time to call.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:36 PM

You are correct, but do you really think that you win this 1-10? What hand do you put him on that you beat?
Old 11-05-2005, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are correct, but do you really think that you win this 1-10? What hand do you put him on that you beat?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots. A pure bluff, 79, 89, 99, low pockets, ace high ... he's a dope. Who knows what he's raising? Don't I beat him 1 in 10 times? Or am I out to lunch here.

What do you think he has?
Old 11-05-2005, 02:17 PM

If these players really are as bad as you say they are then I guess the call is alright. THere is a difference between being bad and over aggressive though. Even bad players pick up hands sometimes. I think villian has a flush and waited until now to raise it. He did call two cold on the flop which screams flush draw to me. Two pair is also a possibility.