Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 03:43 PM

Default Zyban for quitting cigarettes

I've finally decided to quit smoking, I went to my G.P and asked for something that would help.
He prescribed me Zyban, has any1 ever used this to quit smoking, and if yes, I would appreciate information about any of its side effects etc.
Thank You OOT.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Zyban for quitting cigarettes

I know one person who used it and for some reason they decided they would rather try it cold turkey than take this stuff but I dont know why. In my opinion the easiest way to quit is to wean yourself off of it over a matter of months or even upto a year. just make a conscious effort to smoke less everyweek and if you hit a spot where you cant go any further then try the meds.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:47 PM

I have used Zyban (twice) to quit smoking. It is EXCELLENT. The key here is to remember that having a single smoke 3 months after you have QUIT COMPLETELY - may make you a smoker again. It happened to me (twice), don't let it happen to you.

Good luck!
Old 10-31-2005, 03:47 PM

I've tried it.

Try to cut down on coffee intake if you insist on blinking occasionally. Don't take it right before bed. You will get used to the initial jolt after a couple of days.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:06 PM

Default How about non-perscription methods?

Thread hijack: What are some current non-scrip quitting methods? Other than the gum or patch. Anything new out there, or former scrip aids that are OTC now?

Thanks.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:36 PM

In addition to a ramp up which I'm sure your doctor told you about, there is something else that greatly increases your chances of success.

My doctor said the chances of quitting go up by 20% if you also use the patch or gum in concunction with Zyban.

Side effects from zyban/Wellbuten can include some sleeping irregularities and early in the process you might have constipation.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:47 PM

Im thinking that if you are looking for a crutch you are not determined enough to quit. It's not really that hard. You will feel like crap for awhile. That's all.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im thinking that if you are looking for a crutch you are not determined enough to quit. It's not really that hard. You will feel like crap for awhile. That's all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everybody is different. It's very hard for some people. The important thing is quitting, not how you get there. I didn't love taking Zyban but it was a short term situation to fix a long term problem.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Everybody is different. It's very hard for some people. The important thing is quitting, not how you get there. I didn't love taking Zyban but it was a short term situation to fix a long term problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point was to stop looking for shortcuts, suck it up and just quit. It's not hard not to smoke. You simply don't put a cigarette in your mouth. It sucks eggs but it's not hard.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My point was to stop looking for shortcuts, suck it up and just quit. It's not hard not to smoke. You simply don't put a cigarette in your mouth. It sucks eggs but it's not hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

And my point was that cold turkey may have worked for you. But someone else's chances of successfully quitting may go way up if they get some help either with the psychological issues or the physical one's or both.