Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Other Gambling Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 01:27 PM

Default Nits please read before posting

Lets clear up a few things before you post!

1) no betting system can change the HA of any given game. This includes martingale (doubling your bet)

2) Taking odds in craps does not change the HA!

3) If you ever use the saying, "with an infinte bankroll" in a argument then you are both wrong and a nit.

4) Roulette cannot be beat!
Old 09-07-2005, 01:35 PM

Default Re: Nits please read before posting

[ QUOTE ]
Lets clear up a few things before you post!

1) no betting system can change the HA of any given game. This includes martingale (doubling your bet)

3) If you ever use the saying, "with an infinte bankroll" in a argument then you are both wrong and a nit.

[/ QUOTE ]

1)This is correct

2)You are an idiot. link

3)The fact that a phrase is used in an argument does not make the argument invalid.

4)There was a recent "Breaking Vegas" about a team that beat roulette by finding unbalanced wheels. Of course roulette cannot be beat by a betting system, but there may be other ways to beat it.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

2)You are an idiot. link

[/ QUOTE ]

Technically, he isn't. You aren't changing the house advantage; you are just diluting it with a larger and larger amount bet at true odds.

One might argue that you are helping the house by making larger odds wagers, since their risk of ruin comes much later than yours. Once you're wiped out by a bad run, you can't win it back with that diluted house edge in your "favor." You lose your money faster than you would, even with your "improved" HA.

[i]So, if you accuse someone of being an idiot and he's not....
Old 09-07-2005, 08:13 PM

dude not to be a nit or anything.... but i don't think you really know what a nit is. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2005, 08:22 PM

The HA of the pass-line bet does not change, of course. The HA of the game as a whole (played optimally) does change- which is what I was talking about. If he said the HA of the pass-line bet does not change, you would be correct. However, he said the HA of craps does not change, which is incorrect.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
dude not to be a nit or anything.... but i don't think you really know what a nit is. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Urban Dictionary:

nit

gambling term. usually found in poolrooms. Refers to:
1. Someone who's so afraid to lose a bet that they have to be coddled and convinced for an hour that they're going to have a great time and probably win, too. Eventually they may play, but by the time they get on the table the stakes are so low the table-time will eat any winnings you make.
2. someone who won't play unless they have a guaranteed sure win.
3. someone who'll squeeze a dollar 'til george's eyes pop out of the paper.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Urban Dictionary:

nit

gambling term. usually found in poolrooms. Refers to:
1. Someone who's so afraid to lose a bet that they have to be coddled and convinced for an hour that they're going to have a great time and probably win, too. Eventually they may play, but by the time they get on the table the stakes are so low the table-time will eat any winnings you make.
2. someone who won't play unless they have a guaranteed sure win.
3. someone who'll squeeze a dollar 'til george's eyes pop out of the paper.

[/ QUOTE ]

well i suppose i could see how that definiton works.... though there are a lot of nits who definitely do not at all embody the OP. i guess in my own nittish way i thought the post was addressed more towards 'people who can't do math' rather than 'weiner types' [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2005, 08:40 AM

And yet the true dollar amount of the HA doesn't change... so you are being a nit.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:32 AM

Default Artificial intelligence

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]"...on its own". You gotta add "on its own". It's important because games such as 21 can be beat theoretically/vanilla through a combination of betting & playing strategies.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Correct. Those who claim otherwise have not examined the issue properly.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ](Didn't you mean a nitwit? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img])

Anyway, I heard that expression only yesterday at a business lunch and all the people who were using it were money. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Wrong.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And yet the true dollar amount of the HA doesn't change... so you are being a nit.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pointless. I suppose we are both correct, depending how you want to look at it. I believe that my way is far more reasonable, though.